ten.

Last year made Y/n realize how much she hated parties. All the people at the frat Halloween bash reeked of alcohol, slightly convincing Y/n to have some. A boy in a 'The Narrator' costume from the ultimate 'film bro' movie, 'Fight Club,' was handing out beer bottled beside the front door.

Y/n approached the boy and held her hand out hesitantly, asking for a bottle. The boy drunkenly handed it to her. "Hey, I know you!"

"What?"

The boy nodded, turning to his friend, who was dressed as David Bowie. "It's Y/n! From screenwriting class!" He remarked, laughing. 

"Who?" David Bowie asked, taking a jello shot.

"The cute girl!"

"Oh! Hey," David Bowie said flirtatiously, almost making Y/n recoil. She nodded as a thank you for the alcohol before instantly cowering into another room. 

Unfortunately, Anika and Mindy had ditched her to go somewhere else, leaving her alone. Sighing, she noticed the nearest unoccupied house and sat there, tapping her fingers to the rhythm of the music and sipping her bottle.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed two familiar boys dancing together— one was looking like he had the time of his life, while the other wanted to leave. It was Chad and the 'cute roomie' Ethan. Y/n studied their silly dancing as she laughed, observing her other classmates. 

-

Chad and Ethan bopped their bodies rhythmically. They chanted to the lyrics, smiles coming across their faces. 

"Cheers, man, to the dynamic duo of Hortense Tower, third floor, room three-one-five!" Chad announced, their shot glasses clinking together. They shot their glasses up, sending the strong alcohol down their throats, yet Ethan found a distaste toward the drink before spitting it out afterward. 

"Oh, man. Time to start making moves! Yeah, get you out there! Introduce you to some girls," Chad observed, staring at the crowd before him. He didn't wear a shirt, only a bandana tied around his neck and an odd cowboy hat. However, Ethan wore a dorky costume from a film no one knew existed. He searched the room, and someone caught his eye. She wore a suit— it wasn't a costume he didn't recognize because it was so generic. 

"Ooh!" Chad teased. "You're looking at her!" He could barely see the girl because the crowd was blocking their way, but he saw Ethan was interested.

"She's gorgeous!" Ethan exclaimed, watching her admirably.

"Great, ask her out!" 

"No, I can't!" Ethan whined. He wasn't like Chad— someone who could get girls so simply, as if they were all attracted to him like bees to honey. It was hard for Ethan. He was almost twenty, and he hadn't had a girlfriend yet. 

"Ask her out!" Chad forced. "Ask her out!" He pushed Ethan playfully while jumping, and he still refused. 

"Shut up!" Ethan smiled embarrassingly. 

"Got to have confidence, man! Plus, look at you, man! You're a snack!" Chad enthused. "You're practically an entire meal on your own!" 

Ethan smiled bashfully before glancing at the girl. She was busy in her world, and Ethan didn't want to ruin that. "Really?"

"Yeah!" Chad said, getting a closer look. "Holy shit," he realized that Ethan was looking at Y/n. His smile faded slowly, knowing she was still grieving her murdered boyfriend. 

"Uh," he hesitated. "Yeah, you can try."

"Why did you switch up?"

"Dude, that's Y/n."