twelve.

The morning was quiet, despite a serial killer roaming around the campus. Y/n refused to let the coward hiding behind a costume ruin her first date with Ethan Landry— her first date in a year.

Behind Y/n were packed friend groups buzzing about their classes and future quizzes or exams. She liked staying in coffee shops because of the peace. There were always students studying and keeping to themselves, and the warm aroma of the coffee beans gave her a sense of solace.  

The door swung open, triggering the melodic bell above. Y/n perched her book on the table, looking up to see the cute lost brunette enter. The girl waved her hand sweetly when Ethan noticed and sat down, placing his backpack by his feet.

He smiled sweetly, attempting to hide his excitement. "Hey," he greeted, looking over at the chalkboard above the cashier, figuring out what to order. "Have you gotten anything yet?" Ethan pointed to the drinks. 

Y/n shook her head, pursing her lips as she played with her fingers anxiously. She didn't know how to act on first dates since Wes was her first boyfriend, and their first date was almost four years ago. Ethan noticed her anxiety, and he stood up and offered his hand. "Come on, let's order!" He said enthusiastically, painting a smile across Y/n's face.

After ordering their drinks, they returned to their seats but felt more at ease. 

"You like Bong Joon-ho, right?" Ethan questioned.

Y/n nodded, focused on the baristas beside them working on their drinks. "Yeah, I do," she smiled. "You remembered?"

"Of course, I did— I mean, yeah," Ethan said enthusiastically, making Y/n laugh at his cuteness. "I watched one of the movies he directed, 'Parasite.' It was awesome! The performances were phenomenal, and it was still hilarious despite the darker elements, and—"

The rambling boy was cut off by Y/n's laugh, a red tint across his face. "Are you sure you're not a film student?" she chuckled, watching a waitress arrive with their drinks. The waitress set down the cups, and Ethan froze in surprise. 

"N-no, I'm not," he denied, laughing with her. 

"I do agree," Y/n took a sip of her drink. "'Parasite' was the best movie of 2019, but Bong Joon-ho has better work. Try 'Memories of a Murder,'" she recommended as Ethan pulled out his phone and typed the film title in his notes. 

Small actions like this warmed Y/n's heart, knowing he cared about what she liked. The boy put his phone into his pocket, creating a conversation starter in his head.

"Are you scared?" Y/n asked before he could speak. Ethan hesitated, knowing where this question would lead.

"Scared of what?"

"You know, him."

The boy nodded, knowing that he was him. Or one of them. Ethan was going to hurt Y/n soon, and maybe Chad would kill Ethan brutally as he promised. The decision his father made was eating at him like a parasite.  He couldn't back out now; Y/n was part of a bigger plan; to avenge his brother. 

"I don't know, maybe. He hasn't attacked us yet," he assured, noticing Y/n's eyes on the television behind him. It was news of the Ghostface murders. The word itself sent shivers down the girl's spine before Ethan quickly took her hand. 

"Hey, we'll be fine. They'll probably get him before he reaches us," Ethan reminded. 

As much as Y/n wanted to believe that, she couldn't. Who knows, she'd probably be bleeding out on the floor by tomorrow night. 

"Let's just change the topic," Y/n sighed, quickly changing her mood. Before any of them could speak, both of their phones vibrated.

It was Mindy who was texting the group chat.