nine.

New York City: The City of Dreams.

The whimsical place was known for the excitement of the residents on holidays, such as  Halloween. Skyscrapers towered over the city as the crowd buzzed, everyone with creative costumes overrunning the area. 

As busy as the city was today, Y/n sat peacefully watching a film in her room. It wasn't ideal for college students (especially those at Blackmore University) to hole inside like this; her roommates, Mindy, her best friend since grade school, and her fun girlfriend, Anika, were roaming around the house for outfits for the Halloween party tonight.

Y/n chuckled at Anika, who was outside ranting about her makeup look to Mindy. "Damn it, Mindy! Which shade of lipstick should I wear?"

"Uh, I don't know! That one!"

"Are you sure it doesn't clash with my top?"

"You look perfect either way, babe! Don't worry."

While the film was at its climax, the door handle rattled repeatedly. Y/n sighed with disappointment before unlocking the door and peering at Anika in the crack.

"Y/n. . ." she began. "Why the fuck aren't you dressed?" Anika wore dark lipstick, a fun pumpkin tank top, and a matching orange hat.

"Y/n's not dressed?" Mindy recalled as she sipped a glass of water from the kitchen.

Anika forced the door open and revealed Y/n in her childish pajamas. "No, she's not dressed!" Mindy maneuvered to Y/n's room and rummaged through her closet.

"Mindy, what the hell are you doing?"

"Finding you a last-minute costume."

Rolling her eyes, Y/n returned to bed, clicked the unpause button, and continued the film. She laughed excitedly as she ate candy her campus had given out the afternoon before. Rattling from Mindy traveled throughout the room before Anika stomped over to Y/n.

"Are you going to watch corny horror films and listen to sad 80s music the entire time this weekend? You're sad."

"What's wrong with that?"

"It makes you look like a loser," Anika pointed out. "Plus, you're a film student. You're already known as a loser from your major."

Y/n scoffed, pausing the film. "Damn, hit right through the heart," she remarked sarcastically, holding her hand to her chest. "Your girlfriend is one of us, too."

Mindy grunted before stomping outside to her room, and clattering from her closet was now heard. Wow, she was desperate to find her a costume, Y/n thought. Anika dragged the blanket off Y/n's body and shut her computer, snatching it from her grasp and setting it on the desk. "Anika, what the fuck?"

"You're going with us. Whether you like it or not!" Anika forced, dragging Y/n's hand outside. 

"Ugh. I'm not going to enjoy it."

"You will," Anika responded smugly. 

"Give me one reason."

Anika sighed, tilting her head. "Chad's cute dorky roommate will be there! Ethan!"

"Ah, laundry boy. No!"

Ethan Landry was a new addition to the group, along with Anika Kayoko and Tara's roommate Quinn Bailey. They were all tolerable people. As much as Y/n hated to admit it, he was cute. He was a bit too nerdy for Y/n's liking, though. Then again, she liked nerds. It wouldn't hurt to make new friends, right?

"Ethan is not cute, Anika," Mindy accused. She returned from her room and approached Y/n, holding a black suit. "Here's your costume," she muttered, throwing the outfit at Y/n.

"Well, not for us! For Y/n!"

"Sure." Mindy jerked her head at the suit and tie. She was implying for her to wear it.

Y/n glared at the outfit. "And who am I supposed to be?"

"That's the point. Your costume is up to everyone's perception. You could be anyone— Men in Black, Archer— hell, even Patrick Bateman!" 

"Every man in our film class will dress up as Patrick Bateman. Or some David Fincher movie."

"Fine! Men in Black, then. Go change!" Mindy ordered, slamming the door shut. Y/n undressed and regrettably put on her suit. She did enjoy wearing suits as much as she didn't want to admit. 

The door opened slowly to reveal Y/n in her suit and somewhat messy hair, which she had combed with her fingers. Anika was holding a lip gloss tube as she ran over and immediately applied it on Y/n's lips. "You look so hot! Ethan's going to fall in love!" Anika complimented, and a flustered smile across Y/n's face appeared.

"Thanks, Ani. But I don't want Ethan to fall in love with me. We've barely met."

Ethan was always out whenever Y/n visited Chad's dorm with Mindy. She's seen him around, only greeting him with a short smile before attending her lectures. She didn't even know what Ethan Landry's major was.

"Y/n, it's been a year since your last boyfriend! You need to return to dating, especially since we're so young," Mindy convinced. 

"My last boyfriend was brutally murdered. I'm not into dating right now."

"Yeah, I can tell. You still have a box of his things under your vanity. Why did you bring them here?" 

"My mom accidentally packed it," Y/n lied.

Mindy rolled her eyes, stormed into Y/n's room, pulled the box titled 'W.H.,' and stuffed it into her closet. "Just in case you take Ethan home!" She suggested, hitting Y/n's shoulder playfully. 

"Shut up."

Anika, Mindy, and the unenthusiastic girl left the dorm and walked to the exciting (or what Y/n called terrible) college frat party.

As the months passed, Y/n continued to miss her boyfriend terribly. Everyone had moved on, even Chad, whose girlfriend was shot in the head by Amber Freeman. Y/n felt left out as if everyone had forgotten about the massacre— like it didn't happen. She had to pretend she was okay— like she had believed the murders hadn't occurred as everyone else did. 

-

A/N:
Here's a short chapter introducing Y/n's life in NYC! Next will be the party scene ;)

—5/14/2023