six.

They say that we should use our grief as fuel to move forward— that it is an opportunity to learn how to persevere and grow. However, Y/n felt empty as she lay in her bed, a thick comforter wrapping around her body. She had stayed in that position for hours, not moving an inch.

It had barely been twenty-four hours since her boyfriend died, and her phone had been blowing up with messages, especially from her group chat made up of her friends. Other notifications were pity texts from people Y/n had never spoken to. 

Y/n didn't want anyone to be sorry for her loss. She wanted her boyfriend to be beside her, not dead. 

She had been dating Wes for two years. She had been in love with him for six. Regrets piled up in Y/n's head as she wished she had confessed to him sooner. He was perfect for her— even people surrounding her always thought of Y/n L/n and Wes Hicks as soulmates. It was unbelievable how quickly the person she loved most could be taken from her.

The phone on her nightstand continuously vibrated, almost rattling off the table. Y/n exhaled sharply and picked up the phone, only to see Mindy's photo light up on the screen. As much as Y/n didn't want to, she picked up the call.

"Hey, Mindy," Y/n whispered weakly.

"Y/n, open the door."

"What?"

"I'm outside."

"I don't want to get out of bed," Y/n murmured, turning to lie on another side.

"This isn't healthy, Y/n."

"As if I don't know that."

Rattles came from her side as the door finally opened, causing Mindy to release a sigh. "Ms. L/n, nice to see you!" she greeted Y/n's mother as an indistinct conversation happened.

Quiet yet recognizable footsteps clattered across the hallways before stopping in front of Y/n's bedroom door. The door creaked slightly to reveal a calm Mindy poking her head inside. Y/n sighed in annoyance. 

"Mind if I come in?" Mindy questioned, almost inviting herself inside.

"Fine, whatever."

A relieved murmur escaped Mindy's lips before she sat on Y/n's bed, pitifully watching her bundle herself up inside her blanket.

"C'mon, Y/n. A blanket burrito won't solve your issues."

"Let me do what I want; my boyfriend was murdered by a fucking Ghostface."

Mindy paused. How was she supposed to respond to that? 

"Look, I'm sorry. My theory was wrong. I thought he would be fine, but Ghostface used my point as an opportunity and killed him. It's like when the character in a film thinks one thing, but then the killer uses it as a distraction for his plan. You know, a shock factor."

"Fuck you. This isn't a horror franchise anymore! We're not safe! This isn't like when we were 11 sitting in our living room theorizing who the killer would be. This is real life. And you treat it like it doesn't matter! I loved him, Mindy. Now he's gone," Y/n ranted, tears escaping her burning eyes. 

Mindy sighed before removing the blanket from Y/n's face, only to reveal how depressed she was. Y/n's face was sunken and like she hadn't slept in days. 

"Why don't you. . . come with me to Amber's house? She's holding a memorial for Wes. Everyone's invited," Mindy offered. "Ride with me and Chad."

"Go to that creepy ass house after what happened? No," Y/n responded sternly.

Amber Freeman lived at 261 Turner Lane— Stu Macher's old house. Stu Macher, as in one of the original Ghostfaces. This was the location where the first Woodsboro massacre occurred back in 1996. Four people had died on that property, so Y/n always refused to go there. 

"Besides, she's using Wes' death to have a house party or some shit. I don't think she even cared about him. Let me wallow in my self-pity," Y/n scoffed, pulling the blanket over her head.

"Y/n, don't say that. I don't want you to wallow; this isn't Gilmore Girls."

Silence. Y/n didn't want to get up and go to Amber's house and drown in alcohol, thinking it would solve her issues. She didn't want to hear about what Ghostface would do next or get trampled by her apologizing classmates.

"Y/n, I swear, I will drag you out here if I have to."

Y/n heard Mindy walk to another side of the room and open her closet door, rustling through her clothes. There was a sound of fabric crashing onto Y/n's bed before Mindy took the blanket from her face again. She noticed a 90s band t-shirt and her favorite pair of jeans folded on her bed. 

"Come on, please? I don't want to be alone during the party."

"You said everyone was going to be there," Y/n sat up, drinking a glass of water. She stared at Mindy, who was giving her pleading eyes. 

"But there's no company like you," Mindy persuaded, pressing her hands together. 

"If you're going to stop annoying the shit out of me, then I'll go."

Mindy squealed and pulled her into a hug. "Thank you, and I'm so sorry. Genuinely. The moment I see anything go wrong, I'll bring you home."

"Thanks, Mindy."

-

A/N: Hey, everyone! I'm so sorry for the late update... school is ruining my life rn. I hope you enjoyed and stay tuned! Around 2 more chapters until Act 2 ;)

—4/30/2023