thirteen.

Y/n rested her hand on her palm, watching her professor discuss how to write a first draft for a film script. The recent occurrences among her friend group have distracted her from her studies, worrying when he would strike. After last year, the word Ghostface triggered her anxiety, and now that he's back, Y/n couldn't focus on anything else. Y/n watched Mindy sitting on the opposite side of the room, intently taking notes while Y/n absentmindedly tapped her pen on her notebook. She was the only person in the area sitting there, so she stayed alone with her thoughts.

The professor continued teaching while Y/n noticed a figure sitting oddly close to her, but her shoulders dropped once she realized it was Ethan Landry. 

Y/n relaxed a short smile across her face. "What are you doing here?" She whispered, averting her gaze to the professor, who didn't care.

"I don't know— I don't have econ until tonight, so I wanted to see what being a film student is like," Ethan chuckled, earning one out of Y/n.

"Suit yourself," Y/n shrugged. 

Ethan glanced at Y/n while she continued to tap her pen. "Are you alright?" The boy questioned, causing Y/n to jump out of her thoughts. 

"Hm?" She replied, uninterested in the lecture. "Yeah, I'm alright." 

"You don't seem alright," Ethan said, putting his backpack beside him. The brunette leaned closer to Y/n, noticing the nervous look on her face. "You've been on edge ever since we got the text. Is it because of him?"

The word alone made Y/n shudder as she jerked her head to Ethan. "Of course it's him!" She whispered. "I don't know how everyone is so calm about it— except Sam. It's like nothing happened until he came back."

"People cope in different ways," Ethan pointed out.

"Yeah, but it's like they all got over it after a month. It sucks, you know?" Y/n sighed, glancing at the projector. The lecture became a discreet background noise once Ethan brought him up. "We went through a lot of shit last year, E. And- I feel alone. I don't know what to do if anything would happen to you, Mindy, or anyone else. I wish none of this ever happened," Y/n rambled.

Ethan hesitantly took Y/n's hand, carefully entwining his fingers into hers. "Hey, I know it's challenging to get through, but you will make it. You've faced Ghostface before, and this time, you'll beat him again."

"I don't know if I can beat him again; it's too hard. His face, mask, or whatever it's called— reminds me of the people I lost last year."

"I get you. You know, I've lost people before. We'll get through this together, Y/n. Promise," he let go of Y/n's hand and held his pinky, causing the girl to grin and lock hers. 

The professor's voice interrupted their conversation, concluding the class and dismissing everyone. The pair walked out, hand in hand. "You're great at comforting people," Y/n mentioned, kissing his cheek. Ethan's eyes widened as a blush crept on his face, nervously laughing as he held her hand tighter. 

-

Everyone reunited at Sam, Tara, and Quinn's apartment, all hanging out. Ethan was absent only because he had an economics lecture that night. Sure, Y/n wanted to hang out with him, but he insisted on attending.

Y/n sat beside Anika on the couch, scrolling on her phone. Her knees were up on the seat as she looked through Ethan's social media, blushing at the pictures he posted. Multiple photos of dogs and his favorite music artists were seen on his page. The girl beamed lightly, admiring his smile in a specific image of him at a café. 

"What are you doing?" Anika interrupted her thoughts, causing Y/n to look up and turn her phone on her stomach. 

"Huh?" Y/n responded, resulting in Anika stealing her phone. Unexpectedly, she unlocked it. "How do you know my password?!" Y/n accused.