one.

The morning was peaceful; no one had bothered Y/n since she had woken up. She sighed, unlocking her cell phone as she trudged downstairs, going through her notifications. Y/n grinned at the "good morning" message she received from her boyfriend, Wes Hicks, while she typed her response.

Her mom was already brewing a pot of coffee when Y/n arrived, greeting her while she sat down.

"Sleep well?" Y/n's mom questioned, pouring some coffee into her mug.

Y/n nodded silently, placing her phone on the counter. In front of her were some pancakes; she smiled as she took her fork and bit into the soft pancake.

"What are you going to do today?" Her mom asked. "You have plans after school?"

"Hm. . ." Y/n paused, tapping her fingers on the counter. "I don't know. I might hang out with the group or go out with Wes. I might visit Dewey today; I haven't gone in a bit."

Y/n saw Dewey as a father figure, hence developing a close-knit relationship with him since she met him as a kid in 2011 because of her sister. Occasionally, she still visits him and has meals with him. She's been worried for Dewey since his wife left, resulting in him solving his problems with alcohol. Y/n continues to watch out for Dewey as she visits him every week. 

Her mom nodded in response when a slight buzzing sound emerged from Y/n's phone. Curious, she grabbed her phone, turning it over to check the contact number. It was unusual to have phone calls so early. 

It was Wes. Y/n swiped across the screen to answer it as she held it to her ear. "Hey, Wes," she said, a playful expression across her face. "Why are you calling me so early?"

"Y/n. . ." Wes responded, yet his tone wasn't as cheerful. It was as if he was upset. 

"Is everything alright?" 

"My mom told me Tara was stabbed last night."

Fear erupted in her stomach. Y/n clasped her hand over her mouth, suddenly losing her appetite. Tara was a part of their friend group; she's known Tara since childhood, especially since her older sister Sam was her babysitter.

"W-what? Is she okay?" Y/n worriedly questioned, arising from her seat and pacing around the kitchen. "Is she. . ." she implied, hoping that she wasn't dead.

"No, she's fine. Well, that isn't the right word. She's alive, but she was stabbed seven times," he mumbled.

"Seven?" Y/n repeated, her stomach falling deeper. 

"Yeah. We're going to talk about it after school. I'll see you there; I love you," Wes said, worry in his tone. 

"I love you too," Y/n hung up before grabbing her backpack and preparing to leave her home.

She heard her mom speak from behind. "What happened? You sound nervous," she asked.

Y/n bit the inside of her cheek before turning her head. The news was difficult to swallow, especially since it was someone close to her. At the time, Y/n couldn't comprehend when her aunt got stabbed; she was only seven, so how could she?

"Um. . ." Y/n considered lying, avoiding concern from her mother. "Tara got stabbed."

"What?!" She exclaimed.

Y/n pursed her lips, an uneasiness rushing over her. "I might visit her in the hospital after school," she mumbled before kissing her goodbye and leaving for school.

-

Woodsboro High School canceled all after-school activities because of Tara's attack. The announcement caused chatter among the students, with words like "Ghostface" spreading like wildfire. A familiar yet comforting voice came behind her as she fidgeted with her lock and opened her locker.