five.

Anxiety panged in Y/n's chest as they approached the Hicks' street, Y/n still feeling tears fall down her face as she held onto the door handle, preparing to rush outside the car. She knew what was going to happen— what she was going to see.

Wes was dead— Y/n's greatest fear was losing someone she loved most, and that was him. She felt hopeless, knowing she would see him lying lifeless on the floor. As they approached the house, it felt like Ghostface was stabbing her in the back herself.

It was clear that the killer was one of them. Her friends, ones she had known, and loved for years, betrayed her— stole the love of her life away. She wanted to believe that she had made it in time to save his life.

They finally arrived at the Hicks' residence only to be surprised by Judy Hicks' dead body, with repeated stab wounds scattering her body. Y/n gasped in shock, feeling her body collapse to the ground. Dewey held his hand to his forehead and observed outside the home, considering the chances of Ghostface lurking around the house, waiting patiently for another victim.

Y/n gathered her thoughts before running into the house absentmindedly, hearing Dewey call after her. She ignored his warnings— she wanted to see her boyfriend alive— even for one last time.

She turned to the right and felt her heart collapse. She ran and fell beside Wes, who was on the verge of death. "Wes? How the hell are you still alive?" Y/n exclaimed, noticing the stab wound to his throat. She held her hand against his neck, applying pressure to keep him breathing for a few moments. She saw the multiple gashes on his body. The more that appeared, the more her heart broke.

Y/n couldn't help but sob as she held her free hand to his cheek, gliding her thumb against it. Wes blinked harshly before looking at his girlfriend, tears rushing out of his eyes like a flood.

"It'll be okay," Y/n assured through sobs. "They'll be here soon; you'll be fine." She was partially attempting to convince herself Wes would be okay. Even if they made it in time, he couldn't speak because of his severe injuries. She wouldn't be able to hear his sweet voice again. Despite the horrible conditions, Y/n was relieved that the last words he said to her were, "I love you."

Sobs echoed throughout the house, Y/n feeling her chest tighten as she watched Wes' life get sucked out of his body. She pressed her lips on his forehead— the final kiss they had shared before she noticed Wes' eyes become heavy.

Her hands and clothes were soaked in his blood, and Y/n wished it was her instead of him. She should've died, not Wes. He had a brighter future, and she desperately wanted to be a part of that. Sirens started to approach the house, but it was too late.

It was difficult, but once her cries slowed, she managed to choke out her final words to Wes.

"I'm so sorry. I love you so much, Wes," Y/n apologized, gripping tightly to his hands, feeling his touch become cold because of his blood loss. She remembered his warm hugs and cuddles— she wished she didn't take those for granted.

Wes only nodded in reply, still heartbroken that he couldn't say it back. He had felt excruciating pain when attacked, but it started to fade. His body became numb, and everything began to fade— but he was glad the last thing he would see was Y/n, his other half. He squeezed her hand three times before shutting his eyes.

Y/n broke down once Wes closed his eyes as she searched on his wrist for a pulse. It was gone. She felt her entire world crumble to the ground as she bawled, feeling her heart rip out of her chest.

Someone from outside walked in and approached her. "Y/n. . ." he started. It was Dewey, but Y/n didn't care to look behind. She felt him place a hand on her shoulder as she cried over her boyfriend's dead body. Tears wouldn't stop flooding her eyes, even if she attempted to stop. She felt empty looking at him.

Before Dewey forcibly dragged her away, Y/n tried to fight him weakly, wanting to say goodbye for the last time. She was taken from the house and brought to an ambulance, where a nurse took a rag and cleaned Wes' blood off her body. Y/n swallowed and glanced at the bracelet, feeling like it was the only thing she had left of Wes. Of course, she had numerous gifts from Wes over the past few years, but she wanted him. She wanted him to be okay.

She felt weak. It was like her pride and joy were stolen away, and she will never find a way to be happy. Dewey sat beside her as she cried before leaving to talk to the officers. One of them approached and crouched in front of Y/n, her face swollen and her heart empty.

"Hey," the officer spoke in a comforting voice. "Do you mind if I ask you some questions?"

"No," Y/n responded brokenly.

"What was your relationship with the Hicks family?"

Y/n swallowed. "Wes Hicks is— sorry. He was my boyfriend, so I visited them frequently," she replied, her head aching from the emotional pain.

"Alright. . . do you mind if you tell us what happened?"

"Um. . . I was with Dewey when I got called by his mom. She told me to check on him, so I did. I called him and asked if he was okay, and he was. I was driving there to eat dinner, but he was attacked on the phone. . ." Y/n sniffled. "Then, Ghostface picked up and said that Wes was 'busy' before hanging up."

The officer nodded as he jotted down her story before smiling at her pitifully. "Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss," he remarked as someone called from afar.

"Y/n!"

Y/n turned to see Sam behind the yellow tape surrounding the house before dodging under it and running toward her. Y/n got up and embraced her tightly, tears suddenly escaping her eyes. "He's gone," she said, feeling Sam's hands glide across her back.

"I'm so sorry, Y/n. I-I know you've loved him for a long time, and it must hurt to lose him so quickly," Sam replied, letting go of the hug.

Y/n shook her head. "It's fine," she replied. "I think I should go—" She turned to realize that a familiar figure stood before Dewey, repeatedly hitting him. She wore a bright red outfit had had long dark hair. It took a moment for Y/n to realize it was Gale Weathers.

"Is that Gale Weathers?"

Sam nodded her head. "Yeah, she's probably here to write a book about us," she joked. 

It was silent between Sam and Y/n for a few moments, leaving Y/n alone with her thoughts. It was hard to say what Y/n was thinking about because she was so shaken up by what she saw she looked numb— emotionless. She looked like she had lost all hope in the world, her face sunken and eyes bright red. Y/n desperately needed a good cry, but all her tears disappeared.

A familiar car pulled beside the sidewalk across the street, causing Y/n to turn her head slowly and recognize her mom walking out of the car, wearing a pitiful expression. "Mom!" she called, leaving the ambulance and running into her arms. She felt her mom's arms wrap around her tightly, a faint sense of comfort Y/n hopelessly needed.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I can't believe they're gone."

"Me neither."

They stayed in each other's arms for a moment before they were interrupted by yelling from behind. It was Sam who was arguing with the guards who were supposedly guarding Tara. Sam began running towards her car as Dewey quickly ran over to Y/n.

"Hey, I'm going to see if Tara's okay," Dewey called out. "I'll visit later!" 

She watched as Dewey entered his car and chased after Sam, the cars slowly fading away as they got further. Y/n held her head down as her mom drove away, watching the Hicks' house get smaller by the moment; and her heart with it. 

—4/24/2023