fifteen.

Kirby forced everyone into a surveillance van to start the plan. Y/n sat closely beside Ethan, who was eating a bag of Cheetos. Kirby typed swiftly on the computer as Mindy leaned back in disbelief. 

"So, we're really doing the phone tracing thing that never works in the movies? It'll be all 'Keep them talking, Sam, two more minutes! I've almost got them.' Then he hangs up just before we can get a lock," Mindy discourages. 

Kirby sighed before turning to Mindy, an unsurprised look on her face. "I can trace a call in under fifteen seconds," she corrected, causing the confident girl's smile to fade.

"Well, you've got them out there as bait," Mindy added. 

"Because the killer usually calls nearby."

Mindy propped her elbows on Kirby's desk, staring into her eyes. "And you think they're safe because it's broad daylight in a public place?"

"No one is safe when Ghostface is around — it doesn't matter what time or place," Y/n added, grabbing a Cheeto from Ethan's bag.

"Look," Kirby was already sick of Mindy's accusations. "I am here, and so is Bailey."

"This is exactly how our uncle Randy died; in broad daylight. Public place yanked into a van, and stab, stab, stab! No more Randy!"

"Huh."

Ethan offered his bag of chips to Chad, who politely declined. Kirby turned to her desk and turned on the mic. "Hey, Sam, stay frosty out there," she recommended. 

While Sam and Tara strolled around the park waiting for Ghostface's call, Ethan turned to Y/n. "You think she can get Ghostface in time?"

"Yeah, I trust her. She's the FBI and my aunt."

"Huh. You guys don't look alike."

"I get that a lot," Y/n chuckled, snatching the Cheetos from him.

"Hey!" 

Their bickering was cut short when Kirby suddenly started to trace the call. Ghostface was on the other end, threatening Sam. The group inside leaned in and listened intently, watching Kirby get a location. 

Once Ghostface hung up, Sam spoke to the blonde. "Did you get it?" She questioned.

"Yep. Geolocation coming through," Kirby confirmed. The location popped on her computer screen, causing her eyebrows to lace together. "He's on the Upper West Side. He's inside an apartment building — halfway across the city."

"On West 96th?" Tara realized. That was where Gale lived. She was the next target.

"How did you know that?"

"Gale."

-

Everybody was rushed into the van as they drove to the Upper West Side, praying they'd make it in time to save Gale. As nosy as she is, she's the only original survivor they still had. She's been through the most Ghostface attacks and lost the most. Ethan held Y/n's hand tightly while they heard ambulances and police cars chirping outside.

The van stopped abruptly when Tara and Sam rushed into Gale's apartment while the rest stayed in the lobby. Cops and nurses dashed by as a melancholy atmosphere hung over them. Y/n sat beside Chad; everyone knew Gale was gone. 

Ethan stayed upright, observing the first responders while Sam and Tara returned to the lobby. The group exchanged looks, and without words, they knew what happened. The door slid open suddenly to reveal Danny rushing inside, a jacket in his hand. 

"Hey, I got here as fast as I could," he stated, out of breath, causing suspicion to flood Y/n's mind. 

Never trust the love interest. 

Sam's eyes darkened. "Did you?" Tara interrupted.

Danny stayed speechless.

"I'm scared, you guys," Mindy trembled. "I really don't want to get hurt again. 

"Neither do I," Chad whispered. 

"We all are," Y/n agreed. "I can't believe we are going through this shit again, and I don't wanna see anyone hurt anymore."

"I don't want you guys getting hurt," Mindy continued. 

"I know," Chad interrupted, resting his head on Mindy's shoulder. Tara followed as Sam watched the three emotionlessly.

"So, what do we do now?"

"Maybe he gets to win this time," Sam muttered. The group looked at her in disbelief. "He wants to punish me. So maybe I'll let him. I'll just... give myself up," she choked through tears. "If this is what I have to do to keep you safe, it's worth it."

"No, we're not doing that," Tara stood up. "You went back to Woodsboro to protect me. Every single day, you make the decision to protect me. None of us wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for you. You have to let us protect you this time."

"No."

"Yes," Tara argued. "We're a team, remember?"

"Actually," Mindy started, approaching Tara and Sam. "We're a family."

Chad and Y/n stood up. "Let's go! Core Five! Come on!" Chad held his hand out as Y/n and Mindy followed; so did Sam and Tara. Even Danny joined. 

"Core what?"

"It's an us thing," Y/n beamed. 

Danny shrugged before placing his hand there too. "He's gonna keep coming after us," Sam pointed out.

"Isn't there somewhere safe we could just hole up in?" Ethan suggested.

"No, he's gonna keep finding us," Y/n responded.

"Great."

"We could use that, though," Tara added.

-

Tara called Officer Bailey to suggest a plan. 

"I'm getting my ass chewed out for not dropping this case, and now you want me to do what?" Officer Bailey asked.

"We want to lure him into a secure location and trap him and trap him inside," Tara spoke. 

"And then what?"

"We execute him."

"Them," Y/n corrected. "There's always more than one killer, except for Stab 3. We need to prepare ourselves." 

Officer Bailey stayed silent while everybody patiently listened. "Are you gonna help us?" Tara questioned.

"Let's kill the son of a bitch. Now, I'm stuck here, but Gale gave us the keycards to the theater. It's got heavy surveillance and security cameras, but we can use that against him. I'll tell Kirby to meet you there. I'll join you as soon as I can."

"Got it."

"And remember, travel in public. The more people around you, the less chance he has to take a shot at you before you get there."

Tara agreed before ending the call. "So, where should we go?"

"The subway, obviously."

"Let's go then," Ethan suggested, holding Y/n's arm gently. "Stay by my side, alright?" 

Y/n nodded without a word before they left for the train station. 

-

A/N:
this is kinda awk to say, but if you'd like, please apply for an apply fic i just published :)) it's titled "our last summer," and it's a coming-of-age <3 thank you for enjoying!