21: hold on

final chapter

final chapter

• • •

'Hey, Yunho. Sorry if this might seem awkward. Okay -- who am I kidding, you probably find this totally insane.

You already know how much I suck at writing, how terrible I am with emotions and shit. I also know I'm not supposed to cuss in a letter that's supposed to be all sentimental, but I'm kinda too lazy right now to cross anything out. So accept it.

Okay.

So letters are supposed to have an introduction, body and conclusion, right? I mean -- you can't reply and all, but I know you just tried to. Trust me, I know.

So, how do I begin?'

Mingi has the worst idea ever in the history of worst ideas. Okay -- maybe it's not that bad of an idea in the grand scheme of fucked up things that he calls life -- but it's still something that he didn't put nearly as much thought in, and something he knows he'd probably regret doing later on.

So, early that Sunday morning, he knocks on his aunt's door and asks her for one of her box hair dyes.

"Shit," Gia's eyes are wide in shock and unbridled excitement. "You really wanna dye your hair. You really mean it, huh."

"Today's the day I have to do this," Mingi tells her, although his heart's skipping with nerves and his hands are sweaty as fuck. He knows after he's done he's gonna get a lot of stares, specifically at school tomorrow, but he figures he's never gonna fit in anyways. And at this point, who fucking cares? He's just going to be himself, and only himself.

Gia's excitement makes way for something more subdued, and Mingi kinda hates the look in her eyes. "...It's because he's leaving tomorrow, isn't it?"

"It's not because of it." But Mingi knows it's a lie, because while he's more than overdue for a change, his impulsiveness was catalysed by the fact that Yunho was going to go soon, and Mingi wanted to do something so he could feel some semblance of control. So he wouldn't feel like his world was slipping right through his fingertips.

Gia's features mirror sympathy, but determination soon shines through, that perseverance that got her through the worst of situations and the one thing that Mingi admired the most about her. "Okay, I'm gonna help as I'm quite a conoisseur with it, as you can see. Do you want to eat first, or should we get started?"

"Let's just get started," Mingi replies, then puts on a smile that he hopes conveys his sincerity enough. "And thank you."

"No problems, Mingles," his aunt replies, the nick name one that she used to call him a lot when he was younger. As he'd grown, she stopped using it, thinking Mingi found it cheesey. And Mingi does, but at that very moment he really doesn't mind it all that much. In fact, it gets his chest all warm and fuzzy because he knows that while he doesn't have a mother anymore, he has this woman right here  that loves him twice as much as his actual mother ever could.