Chapter 39: A Vacation to Relax

~~~~~

After the battle between All For One and One For All concluded, Aoi wasn't able to leave her home for a few days. Lucky for her they were still in their vacation days. Aizawa told her that she was required to go to campus for her extra training, but after the panic attack she had, she ignored him. All she could do was see herself in the mirror. Her maid and grandma constantly tried to get her out, but failed.

She kept remembering that kid she encountered, and would use her quirk to try to replicate the plushie he let her borrow and next to it the bracelet with the tracker. She would look at them for hours, thinking if she was ready to finally make a real decision, not a decision just to shut the reflection, to convince herself for a moment then go directly back to old habits. The reflection's words kept going through her mind. She refused to be a dog for the villains or even the hero commission, but she was so unsure what to do. What was worse was that she had no one to talk to about the subject, and that was silently killing her inside. She imagined her heart as a piece of glass, and with what just happened, she felt as if her heart now had a crack.

"Have you made a choice?~" The reflection asked while appearing in the mirror

"No... All this time, ever since... ever since that day, I have told myself I would be the symbol of hope and justice for both sides. But as soon as both worlds clash, I am now trapped in a mind game. During USJ I was determined to destroy all the heroes, to defeat all of my classmates, but when I saw their heroism next to All Might, all I felt was an impulse to be heroic as well, and ended up going against orders. Then at the forest, things were the opposite, I didn't really care about my classmates, not fully, I wanted to make sure the villains succeeded but was distracted by Aikou's disappearance"

The reflection made a face of disgust while hearing her

"Then... the other day on the street, that kid... made me desire to be a hero just like All Might. I hate him, despise him, wish I could scream at him all the things I think about... but that kid, I want to be a hero like All Might and inspire people like that" Aoi continued "But if that kid were to see how I helped Stain, how I went insane during the final exam, or even know what was going through my head during the sports festival, I wouldn't be a hero to him anymore. That is what I fear, for people to fear me instead of..."

"Admiring you?~" The reflection asked "So that is what this is all about huh?~"

"Not like that, I am not doing this for fame, or money, or even power" Aoi replied "I want to help people like an honest hero, but how can I be honest for the people if I am not even honest with myself?"

"Then?~" The reflection asked

Aoi looked at the bracelet

"He promised me that world, that his way would guarantee resources for the world to prosper, for everybody to be themselves, for both worlds to become one and coexist" Aoi said "But..." she continued while looking at the remake of the plushie "UA has taught me that I can do that on my own..."

"Aoi?" Her grandma said while knocking a little making the reflection suddenly disappear and Aoi be taken out of her thought "I have an offer for you, so you can cheer up a little"

Aoi looked at the door confused and decided to finally open it "What is it?"

"You know how we are one of the main Patrons and contributors of the projects and events that go on I Island right? I know that we tend to go together and place our spot to promote ourselves, but without your grandfather here, I decided to skip this year's event"

"Uh huh...?" Aoi reacted a little confused

"So, instead of wasting the expo invitations, I wanted to ask if you wanted to go and maybe invite some friends of yours?" her grandmother asked