Chapter 12: Secrets

~~~~~

The next day Aoi woke up and heard noise from downstairs. She got on her feet and looked around for some seconds, especially the mirror on the wall. For some reason when she attempted to look at herself, all she was able to visualize was her face covered with a shadow and her hair was straight and floating. It was strange for her and was not sure how to react except for believing that she was daydreaming.

She ran down the stairs and noticed that the maid was cleaning the hall. Aoi simply tried not stepping on the floor and was able to reach the kitchen finding her grandma cooking.

"Morning" Aoi said with a smile

"Shouldn't you be heading to school? Aoi, you need to get early, I don't like those habits of yours of waking up late" her grandma said while pointing at her with a knife

Aoi used her quirk to point the knife away from her "Noup, they gave us a day to recover" she answered with a smile "I will probably fix the garden or go and buy supplies for the shop"

"Nonsense, after winning yesterday you should take a rest" her grandma said while she started chopping some fruits and placed them in a bowl "Since I wasn't planning on you being here to have breakfast, I only took fruit for myself, but let me prepare you a plate as well" her grandma said with a smile

Aoi smiled back and then noticed that in the reflection of one of the plates, she was still seeing herself differently, making her feel uncomfortable about her state with the voice inside her head "So... you know that 'awakening' thing you are always warning me about? How do I... know if I have it?"

Her grandma stabbed the cutting board in shock while she stared at the stabbed spot for some seconds. She then took a breath and looked at Aoi full of concern "You think you have it?! We have to take you to the treatment facility, I will call your professor right now and let them know you will drop the course until further notice" her grandma said almost screaming while she went over for the phone.

Aoi looked at her concerned and used her quirk to keep the phone away from her "Grandma wait! I was just asking... I-I still don't have it, I w-was curious since you said it usually appears around my age" Aoi said trying to seem as calm as possible.

Her grandma just looked at her highly concerned, but took a deep breath to calm herself down "I-Im sorry for reacting that way... you must understand that it is important for you to tell me so we can take action"

"But what is it?" Aoi asked.

her grandma just went up to the cutting board and looked down nervously "It is best if you don't know what it is, you just have to trust me"

"But if it is so important... then you should at least tell me how to identify it" Aoi said trying to convince her grandma to tell her more

"You already know the symptoms Aoi, as soon as you start hearing a voice in your head which insists doing things you wouldn't usually do, or you start noticing that your behavior is more... aggressive..." her grandma said while she started cutting fruit again 

Aoi stayed serious for a moment "and when it appears... is it really necessary for me to drop my classes?" 

"Yes!" she said finally cutting the last piece of fruit with an aggressive look on her face "I know you have worked hard to get to the hero course, but I refuse to make the same mistake twi-"

"twice? you mean..." Aoi was surprised since she believed that she referred to one of her parents.

"Nothing... I mean nothing" her grandma answered while placing the fruit in a bowl "I need to go to the shop, I have to finish some stuff"