FOURTEEN

FOURTEENNovember 1976

FOURTEEN
November 1976

Sirius still trailed a few steps behind his friends as they followed Linny and Evan towards the Shrieking Shack, another cigarette in his hand. His head snapped up as he swore he heard something in the woods. He stopped walking to let his eyes wander the scattered trees.

James noticed the absence of Sirius beside him and turned back while Remus, Miah, and Peter continued, unbothered. "Padfoot?" James questioned.

"I thought I heard something," Sirius muttered, still searching.

James looked unconvinced, but turned his attention towards the woods. And sure enough, a moment later, they saw a couple of Slytherin boys jotting through the trees. James' eyes widened, meeting Sirius' concerned look. "I think something bad is happening," he said, picking up their pace.

Not far ahead, Linny and Evan settled at the fence, looking out towards the Shrieking Shack. "Have you heard what people say about that place?" Evan asked with a playful smile.

"Um, no," she lied, feigning obliviousness. "What do they say?"

"On full moons, it's said that you can hear the screams of ghosts up at that place. Apparently it's haunted," he exaggerated with a spirited voice and grand gestures.

Linny laughed lightly, but her eyes caught on the Shrieking Shack, thinking of the nights she spent with Remus in that grey building. His screams still echoed in her head when she closed her eyes. And his pain was still felt in every extremity of her being.

She shook herself out of her thoughts and turned back to Evan. "Sorry, I just got tired all of a sudden," she excused, looking for a reason to go somewhere else. "You know, I'd love to stock up my candy, could we-"

Just as Linny moved to turn back towards the path, Evan's hand jolted out to grab her shoulder and keep her turned towards him. "Woah!" he exclaimed first, too late realizing the spooked expression on her face. He faked a little laugh and added, "Sorry. It's just, you know, let's stay here a while."

Linny's eyebrows drew together slightly as she watched Evan's eyes stay above her shoulder for a moment, as if looking at something. And she swore she heard a twig snap. She hesitated, but turned to look behind her shoulder.

"No!" Evan said, forcefully turning her head back to his. And before Linny knew what was happening, Evan was pushing their lips together.

And Linny saw.

<>

Evan Rosier was hiding.

Crouched behind a couch which looked like it had been torn and rid of its stuffing in a few places. A wand was clutched tightly in his hand and his ears were poised, listening to the footsteps of his foe.

There was something different about his pursuer's gait. One foot wasn't quite right. And when Linny caught a glint of the man's face in a flash of moonlight from outside, she was startled slightly. One of his eyes wasn't quite right, either. He was an older man, thin blonde hair and a rough sneer on his face.