PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

As a child, Evangeline Robinson was anything but shy. She and her brother, Jeremiah, would run around and play and make friends with anyone they met no matter the location. Once, their parents left them to their own devices in the toy aisle and, when they returned only two minutes later, they were in a long-winded conversation with a boy who wanted the newest Barbie doll, but was scared that the other boys at school would laugh at him. Jeremiah assured him that they could be friends, because he liked Barbies too. Evangeline added that she had the biggest collection of doll clothes imaginable and he could come over so they could dress up their Barbies together.

Jeremiah couldn't imagine a time when Evangeline wasn't around, likely because the pair was only eight months apart when the younger girl was born a month and a half earlier than expected. Perhaps that's why, at a young age, they each shortened the other's name to Linny and Miah respectively. With that, the inseparable pair was born.

They only grew closer when, a few months after Miah turned six while Linny was still five, another Robinson sibling joined the bunch. The parents introduced the children to their little brother, Cassander. As they did for each other, they gave him a nickname: Cass. The parents had never seen their children so gentle as they were when playing with Cass.

But, their extrovertedness remained. Miah started school a year before Linny and he would come home every day with tales of his adventures at school, becoming friends with nearly every person he came across. And every time one of those peers visited the house, Linny would have a new friend by the end of the playdate.

When Miah was seven and Linny six, Linny got angry that Cass had stolen a toy. Her mother shrieked when she saw that Linny had telepathically lifted it out of her younger brother's hands. The balance was temporarily out of order. A year later, Miah's powers appeared, but by then it was he who was getting advice from his sister. Miah felt odd as the roles were reversed by her experiencing this benchmark of their life before him.

Mateo Robinson was only filled with relief when both children showed signs of magic. He'd been filing his children's heads with stories of his time at Hogwarts since they were infants. However, as a muggleborn wizard who married his childhood best friend, a muggle, there was always a chance that only some of their kids would be magical and others not.

Miah's eventual showing of powers was overshadowed, though, by the events of Halloween 1968.

It was Cass' second Halloween. The Robinsons dressed him up in a hand sewn dinosaur costume to match his most recent toy obsession. Linny and Miah did a pair costume, as they often did, dressing as Cruella de Vil and one of the dalmatians. They trick or treated for hours, then returned to the house where their mother awaited with pumpkin spice hot chocolate and a movie ready for them to watch together in the living room.

Mateo went into the kitchen to get popcorn for the rest of them and Linny went along, always trailing after her father admirably. He poured the popped kernels into a big bowl and was carefully handing them to the little girl when their fingers brushed.