SEVEN

SEVENOctober 1976

SEVEN
October 1976

With the beginning of October came the first Quidditch game of the season. Hufflepuff and Gryffindor were set to face off and the lions, as always, were supremely confident. But the Hufflepuffs, being good sports, expressed that they'd be happy with whatever the outcome.

Just kidding. The Hufflepuff team was just as competitive as any other house on the Hogwarts campus, perhaps even more so. Their loyalty and comradery were so strong that their enthusiasm was comparable to any of their opponents.

Linny, Mary, and Dorcas watched the commotion of the crowded Gryffindor table from afar at dinner that evening. Before a game, the table was always most crowded with students from other houses coming to converse with the players prior to their appearance on the pitch. So of course, it wasn't exactly Linny's scene as students' shoulders were pressed up against each other to squeeze onto the bench.

Emmeline took a seat across from them with a glance back at the Gryffindor table. "I understand you more every day, Linny. I would not want to be in the thick of that."

The girls laughed and chatted until the dessert course came around and they were joined by Miah who had finally managed to sneak away from the rest of his Quidditch team. "Hey, there's the new lion keeper!" Dorcas encouraged as he approached and took a seat on the bench beside his sister. "Nervous?"

"No. No, never," Miah said, feigning coolness as he shook his head and avoided the girls' eyes.

"Awe, he's nervous!" Mary gushed, Dorcas elbowing her through light giggles.

"It's alright, Brother. I'm sure you'll do splendidly," Linny said, patting his shoulder.

Miah blushed and looked down at his shoes as Cass ran up behind them and tackled his siblings' shoulders. They turned around to find him with a full mane of extensions around his head and his face painted up red and gold for his own house pride.

"Oh, wow, look at you, petit lion!" Linny said, scruffing his fake mane. "Who did all of this?"

"That would be Gryffindor's biggest fans," another voice filled in. The group looked up to find the four Marauders now coming to join them. James and Sirius looked on at the smaller boy proudly as their face paint was put to good use. The Black boy continued, "It was getting a little too crowded over there for us."

"Coming from the boy who will do anything for attention? Have you been possessed?" Dorcas questioned.

Sirius scoffed while Remus took to giving the true answer for their new seating arrangement. "No. Sirius just has a new thing for Ravenclaws, apparently. I wonder why." He tilted his head towards Linny who was completely oblivious, still fawning over her little brother.

The gesture was still much too obvious for Sirius, though, as he slapped Moony's arm from across the table despite the snickers from his surrounding friends. Linny finally looked back up and said, "What did I miss?"