ELEVEN

ELEVENOctober 1976

ELEVEN
October 1976

Halloween at Hogwarts was truly something to behold. On her walk with Dorcas, Mary, Severus, and Evan back from the greenhouse, Linny was regularly distracted by the warm tones of the Forbidden Forest. It was as if the warmth that Hogwarts had always made Linny feel was at an all time high in a way she couldn't quite explain. Younger students ran around the courtyard in elaborate costumes and the ghosts were the most active they'd been all year. Linny laughed when a first year in a troll mask leaped out from behind a pillar, substantially spooking Mary and Evan while the other three were unaffected.

They continued towards the Great Hall in time for lunch, Linny still giggling as Evan tried and failed to explain his jumpiness. While Severus moved toward the Slytherin table and Dorcas and Mary went to join Miah and the Marauders at their usual lunch spot, Evan and Linny lingered.

The Marauders had slowly taken notice of this newfound kinship between Linny and the pair of Slytherins, but while Peter and Remus didn't much mind as long as it was harmless conversation and James often simply spat his discontent then moved on, Sirius seemed to be the more preoccupied of the bunch. On that particular October afternoon, he found his eyes unconsciously glued to the pair at the doors of the Great Hall.

Remus leaned in as he said, "You're staring."

Sirius jumped, immediately replying, "No. I'm not. I wasn't staring."

"Yes you were," Mary sang as she and Dorcas took their seats amongst the five Gryffindors. The rest of the girls hadn't yet returned from their stop at the dorms, leaving only Miah, the Ravenclaws, and the Marauders at the table.

"Can't blame him, can you? You know who Rosier's family is?" James said.

Miah's eyebrows suddenly drew together in skepticism. "Who is this kid?"

"His cousins are mine," Sirius spat. "Narcissa and Bellatrix. Andromeda, too."

"And yet, here you sit," Dorcas pointed out. "Guess that proves family doesn't mean much, does it?"

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Bloody Ravenclaws," he muttered.

"Awe. Who outsmarted you this time, Black?" Linny asked, notably in a very chipper mood as she approached the table.

"Finally split from your boyfriend?"

Linny obliviously looked back at where she'd just come from as if she couldn't be bothered to know what he was referring to. "Evan? We just have a few classes together. He's only being nice."

"Oh. Poor, sweet, innocent Lin," Mary said with a sad smile.

"Why are you so concerned, Black?" Dorcas questioned, leaning in suggestively. "Are you, perhaps, jealous?"

Linny's head whipped around to face the two. "What?"

Similarly, Miah raised a suspicious brow in the boy's direction. "Yeah, what?"