THIRTEEN

THIRTEENNovember 1976

THIRTEEN
November 1976

Lily and Linny sat at their table in Ancient Runes the following Monday morning with an anxious Mary whose eyes were darting around the classroom. "I feel like everyone's staring at me."

"You did brilliant, Mary. Don't worry your pretty little head," Lily said.

"I exclaimed 'holy shit' into the microphone when Eloise... Oh, I feel so horrible!"

"Honestly, Mary, it's been a whole weekend. I doubt anyone even remembers," Linny assured.

Remus came into the room and took his seat beside Linny. The corner of his mouth upturned mischievously when his eyes fell on Mary. "Hey, MacDonald. Holy shit, what a game Friday night." Linny immediately slapped his arm while Mary groaned and buried her head in her hands. "I'm kidding!" he laughed, recoiling from Linny.

A commotion raised behind them as several students' giggles rose from the class. Linny and her friends turned towards the door to see Evan entering with Regulus and Severus, his head half-blocked by a large, eagle-shaped headpiece.

"This oughta raise your spirits, Mary," Linny said.

Lily and Mary leaned into each other as they dissolved into giggles. Linny stood from the table, Remus watching her closely and concernedly as she approached the snakes. "Is it everything you hoped for?" Evan asked with a strained smile.

"And more. You look quite dashing, don't you think, boys?" Linny said, glancing at the other snakes.

Regulus half-smiled and rolled his eyes as he returned to the Quidditch plays in front of him. Severus didn't quite smile, but there was something very pleased about his demeanor that class period.

"A bet's a bet," Evan said. "It pleases you, so I'm happy with the result."

Linny scoffed and looked down at her shoes. "I suppose, to make up for the horrible embarrassment of the day, maybe I could still accompany you to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

Evan's face lit up in a smile. "You're too kind, Linny."

"I know it'll be quite horrible, but I believe I can bear it for one whole day," she said playfully.

Evan happily watched her walk away, calling, "I'll be looking forward to it."

"What was that about?" Lily asked suggestively as Linny retook her seat.

"It's just a friendly little... date," Linny said. Mary and Lily squealed in excitement while Linny blushed. Meanwhile, Remus' eyes were glued to the extremely pleased Slytherin at the next table.

|*|

"This is the lousiest birthday ever!" Sirius declared dramatically after Remus relayed the information of Linny's date to he and the rest of the Marauders. "Now I have to go lecture her about disgusting Slytherins."