ONE

ONESeptember 1976

ONE
September 1976

From the first floor of the modest house, two rapid sets of footsteps could be heard on the second level of the home. A third trailed only a few paces behind them with an equal amount of energy. "Come on, darlings! We've got a train to catch!" Mateo called up the stairs in his native Bulgarian.

"Miah! Give it back, asshole!" LInny yelled after her brother, though a laugh was caught in her tone.

"Watch your mouth, Lin! There is a child present!" Miah scolded, holding his sister's camera just out of her reach as she tried to jump up and grab it.

"Yeah, Linny! Watch your mouth!" Cass said, sticking his tongue out at his sister.

Linny smiled mischievously as her eyes set on her little brother. "Great point," she muttered, scooping Cass up from the ground. He shrieked in surprise, but he caught on quickly as Linny lifted him towards the camera.

"No!" Miah said as Cass was able to snatch the camera from his hands and wrap it up in his arms.

"Ah, my little co-conspirator," Linny said affectionately as she ran down the steps, away from her older brother with Cass in her arms, laughing wildly.

Their father was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, an eyebrow raised in amusement. "Should I ask?" he asked.

"I see no reason to." Linny returned Cass to the ground and the camera to where it always hung around her neck. The Canon AE-1 was a Christmas gift from her father two years back so she wouldn't have to keep using his old polaroid. Though it was a muggle camera and was often questioned by her peers at Beauxbatons, it was Linny's prized possession.

"You know what the Americans say..." Miah said as he came down the stairs. "Snitches get stitches." With that, he went running after Cass, chasing him around the house until he was able to scoop him up in his arms and tickle him.

Mateo simply threw his arm around his daughter's shoulder as they watched them. "The Norwegians are much more straightforward," Linny said. "Sladrehank skal selv ha bank."

"What does that mean, darling?" Mateo said.

"He who snitches deserves to get beat up." Her father and brothers gave her an odd look. Linny only shrugged. "I was doing some light reading on language barriers across Europe and then I went down a rabbit hole of phrase equivalents across languages."

"You speak plenty languages already, Lin," Miah chuckled.

She shrugged again and reached for the charm bracelet on her left arm, twisting it around her wrist with a bashful smile.

"Alright, we'll really miss the train if we don't leave soon," Mateo said, looking at his watch with a sigh. "Late on my first day will not be a good look." The switch from Beauxbaton to Hogwarts was one putting extra strain on the Robinson family, but it was a necessary stretch. At his position of Muggle Studies professor at the French magic academy, he'd been getting death threats since beginning the position, but when they started appearing at the house the previous summer, it was unanimously decided that a change was in order and Dumbledore was in the market after his last Muggle Studies professor retired. Mateo Robinson was just what he was looking for.