Michael - You're Best Friends

Author: Rhine

-

Some would've called it fate, some would've called it luck, some would've called it chance.

That you found someone that you just clicked with, that you found someone that would enter your life seamlessly like they always meant to belong, embedded into you as if that was where they were meant to be.

Some would've called it destiny, like a last puzzle piece falling into place.

You called it loser.

You called this thing – this person – that people always gushed about just one in every life and a bond you can't match – you always called him loser, idiot, nerd.

It was never those glittering fantasies of two people lying in bed and spilling their souls to each other in the middle of the night; it was never finishing each other's sentences and walking in time.

With you and Michal, it was a little bit different.

It was always screaming matches over yet another videogame – I won that one

fair and square no you cannot call a rematch to hell you're just jealous that I won without cheating – it was always promising just one bite then eating the whole thing, it flicking erasers and chucking shoes and smothering with pillows and the occasional chokehold of love – that was you and Michael.

You understood each other – extra cheese, double pepperoni, beef bits, and garlic dip – to an almost uncanny extent – more than just the outside knowledge of favourite things and cheating methods and bad habits.

It was another sense, almost – how you'd just know what kind of mood Michael was in, what kind of buttons were okay to press for the day, what words were acceptable for his state and what actions were needed.

And it was the same for you, in all honesty.

It was Michael who'd know – somehow, he'd just know not to mention the scrape on your knee that he would've joked about the day before, he'd know whether to ask you about your day or swiftly skip the conversation straight to what you wanted to eat; he'd know what days you didn't want to talk and which days you did.

It was this feeling under your skin, this voice in the back of your head that always sounded like him, telling you just what to do and say around Michael as if he was guiding you himself.

And perhaps that's why the two of you got along so well – it wasn't because you shared all the same interests or acted completely identical in every way – it was because you understood on another level just how each other worked.

And your relationship was always teasing, playful – physical slaps to the arm and rough jokes and demeaning nicknames that the two of you always somehow managed to change into something with a sweet undertone.