Long and Quiet Nightmares (NSFW)

Connie POV:

When I was discharged, I got a lot of mixed reactions about my condition. Some were just happy I was alive and going to be ok physically. Some people gave their condolences and said they'd pray for me and shit like that. But I know most won't even think of me when they get home. So just like most things I remember about my life, it's just a formality that's goes into nothing.

I would say that my parents and teammates were the only ones who had any sort of regard for me truly. And I was happy that my parents actually came from DR to see me. The last time we spoke we weren't exactly on good terms, they were still upset over the fact that I chose racing with the academic success that I did have.

Although it paid off, they weren't too happy that their American Dream was wasted on an adrenaline junkies high. That and everything else I told them, about religion, sexuality, RACE, everything that they grew up knowing was a lie. So them coming to sit with me regardless made me thank God. My parents still love me.

The media stayed honest, which I always appreciated. It didn't have emotions or humanity, all it needed was the next juicy story. For some reason, I felt used to it and it was the only thing I could rely on to be the same one day and the next. But I was taking it better than others.

When I came home, Y/N and Jacoby stayed with me with Jacoby's son, ( I'm guessing son, I'm too scared to ask) Eugene, came over at times.

The first week, I could catch Y/N looking at the racing network and I would see her looking at herself on TV. It wasn't her racing, or speaking out about something, it was a video of her on repeat, stepping to another racer on another team who I heard heard got disqualified for foul play. Apparently, they were the ones who pushed me to wipe out that night.

Those very same racers were speaking out about how she threatened to wipe them out if they ended up back on the track and that NASCAR letting her compete was a complete disgrace.

When I asked her about it, she gave an uncomfortable smile and shook her head. She said NASCAR stuck with their decision to eliminate them and keep her, but if she makes a threat like that again, they will disqualify her.

When I asked her why she would risk it, she pouted, then put her hand on mine and told me, "You were hurt, and I couldn't even go with you. That was the hardest thing I had to do in my life." She said.

A couple days turned into a week they were living with me and Y/N had to go back to training with the other racers. Even though Im in the house with Jacoby all day, it feel like Im in this house alone. This dark ass room alone.I feel like something happened between us, like I did something wrong.

He's always running errands, or in a room, upstairs, not making a sound. I want to spend time with him. I feel like I'm missing when he's not there and I want to know why. The only time I spend time with him is when he's taking me to physical therapy, helping me bathe or use the bathroom.

I call him on my phone and tell him to help me use the bathroom. He comes down immediately, knocking on my room door before he comes in. He has his headphones in and takes them off as he approaches my bed. He pulls my wheelchair to the bed but I stop him and pat the space next to me.

"Can you come chill with me? If you're not busy?" I asked softly. Jacoby raised a brow, but smirked a little, then proceeded to take off his slides and lay down next to me. He turns over to look at me as he fixes himself under the covers.

"What's up, Connie? You got a question for me?" He said as he gave me his undivided attention. Whenever he did give me his attention, it was completely undivided. I like that about him. I think I remember that about him too.