9

Joon rolled out of bed. It was 4 am, but he didn't care. He was going to walk his mate to work today. There was no way he'd let him walk alone in the dark, even if their neighborhood was extremely safe. He ate quickly and chugged his coffee before he shifted and used the doggy door he had installed when he first moved in and made his way down the stairs.

He was well-loved in his apartment complex, when he was in his human form his neighbors would always ask about the beautiful golden—claiming that he was the sweetest pup around. He was a little early; it wasn't even 4:30 yet. But he didn't know how early Jin would leave and he didn't want to risk missing him. The door opened, and out came his mate, "What are you doing here?"

Joon woofed a little and spun around in a circle, "Why am I talking to you like you understand?" He mumbled, "I have to go to work, shoo." But the golden wasn't deterred at all, he just happily followed behind Jin, subtitling scenting him every chance he got.

"Morning, Jin," Arden yelled from the back as she made her way up front; she stopped at the counter and raised her eyebrow a bit, "What are you doing here, Joon? I usually don't see you until before closing time."

Joon barked softly and looked at Jin, "He was at my house this morning when I walked outside."

She giggled a bit; her small hand, which was covered in flour, came up to try and hide the giggles. "Oh, he was, was he? Looks like he might have picked you to be his human, lord knows he doesn't want anyone else."

"I-I can't have a dog," Jin sputtered, causing Joon to whine and drop his tail.

"Looks like you have no choice. Now come on, we bake animal-friendly treats here just in case one of the cats gets frisky, looking at you Mr. Pudding." She was glaring at the cat that wouldn't come down from the cabinet yesterday, and it made Jin snort a bit. "Don't let him fool you, he's an absolute demon. He'll look you in the eyes as he steals food from your hand. I was eating a sandwich like I was taking a bite, and he snatched it away and ate it with no fucks given."

"I'll keep that in mind." They went to the back with Joon being forced to stay in the lobby with the cats. He didn't like that, but at least he could still smell Jin. So he laid down and let the cats climb all over him. They never cared about him being a dog since he's a hybrid, they can smell the human side of him as well as the dog side.

It wasn't until lunchtime that he got to even see Jin again. The human stayed in the back baking, and Arden ran the counter. It was a slow day, they were mostly only busy on the weekends. But every once in a while someone would come in and want a coffee and pastry while they pet some cute cats and even Joon.

Finally, Jin came from the back with his lunchbox and sat at a table. Joon padded his way over and laid his head on Jin's thigh. He was hungry, not hungry enough to shift and go home to eat, but hungry enough to beg the human in front of him. "And what are you expecting me to do, hmm?"

Joon whined a bit and looked at the food before turning back to Jin, "You want me to feed you my lunch?" The human frowned, "Can you even eat bulgogi?" Joon perked up, he loved bulgogi. He barked quietly and looked at Jin with his best puppy eyes as he whined. "This isn't going to become a thing," he grumbled as he fed Joon a few bites.

It absolutely would become a thing if Joon had his way. "Alright, Jin, tomorrow, come in around 8, and I'll get you register trained. You did great today."

Thank fuck, Joon thought to himself. 4 am was too damn early to be up and functioning. Even more so when he barely slept the previous night because he was so nervous. He walked Jin home, much like the day before, that man was outside with Jin's boys playing. "Puppy," the little one yelled as he ran towards Joon and wrapped his little arms around his neck. He smelled like Jin and baby powder.

His tail was going crazy because he was so happy; the fastest way to Jin's heart would definitely be through his boys. It didn't take long before the other little one came up and did the same thing. Soon, he was chasing a ball; he was exhausted, but it was worth it to play with the boys. Every time he looked at Jin, the human had a soft smile on his face.

"Come on, boys, say good night to Joon. We have to eat dinner and wash up."

He didn't want it to end, but he understood that he had to. He'd see them tomorrow anyway. So with that thought in mind, he left to head back to his apartment and eat his weight in food. 

"That dog is a little strange," Yoongi commented as they got dinner ready. "He follows you around like you are his human."

"He stayed at work with me all day today, too. It was strange, not normal dog behavior for sure."

Yoongi hummed a bit as he finished up the boy's plates, "Hey, so I know I said I'd stay here for as long as you need. But I have to head back to Seoul for a bit. I can come back after, but will you be okay if I am gone for about a week?"

"Yes, of course, Yoongi. You've already done so much for me; don't let me hold you back from your life."

"You aren't, I promise. But I do need to do some work in person; that's why I have to go back." They ate in comfortable silence; it was nice. Yoongi was like the little brother he never had since Tae had been loud since the day he was born. "Why are you smirking?"

Jin shook his head with a soft chuckle, "I was just thinking how you are the little brother I always wanted, and instead, I got the demon Kim Taehyung."

Yoongi snorted a bit, "Yeah, Tae is def something else. But I think you need him in your life. You would get bored with me after a while. We're too quiet together, but Tae, Tae brings out your fun, silly side."

It made sense in a way, "I'm going to head to bed after I bathe the boys. I'm not used to waking up so early." He snorted, "which is strange because, with him, I barely got any sleep."

"You've been in the hospital for months and getting the rest you needed. Of course, your body got used to sleeping. You are no longer in fight or flight mode. You can rest and be happy."

"It feels strange, almost like I don't deserve it. I mean I have two beautiful boys, I have a house now and my friends and brother are, just the greatest."

"You deserve it."

He didn't feel like he did. He felt like he deserved the life he had with Jungho; what did he ever do to deserve two such beautiful children and such a cute house? Plus a new job with a very nice and understanding boss. "I'm going to put them to bed and then crash. Thanks for everything, Yoongi."

Jin washed the boys, enjoying their giggles as he made mohawks with the bubbles on their heads. They were so pure and so loving, and Jin didn't know what he would do if he ever lost them. Jungho couldn't find them; Jin wouldn't survive that.