4

Yoongi woke up to very quiet crying; he jolted a bit, looking around. The boys weren't in bed, but he could hear sniffling. He was still half asleep, but panic was starting to set in. "Jiminie, Jungkookie, where are you?"

A soft sob came from the direction of the closet and when he opened it, there in the back corner were the two boys. They were wrapped up around each other, and they both had their hands over their mouths so their crying was muffled. "Oh, babies, come here. It's going to be okay, I promise." He opened his arms wide, and they shuffled out of the closet and ran into them.

He held them both, rocking them back and forth as he murmured soft and kind words into their ears. It took around half an hour before they calmed down, "Where's Daddy?"

"He's with Uncle Tae Tae, he needed to see a Doctor so they could fix him up and make him feel better. He'll be home soon, or we can go see him. But for now, why don't we see what Uncle Tae Tae has to eat? Are you guys hungry?"

That seemed to perk the two boys up a bit, "Banana?"

Yoongi looked down at the large doe eyes that were so dark they were almost black, "I bet he does. Why don't we go look, hmm?"

The boys jumped up, smiles on their faces, and tears all gone. The three of them made their way into the kitchen, Yoongi got them set up at the table as he made his way around, trying to find something for the boys. Tae didn't have a lot that would appeal to kids, but he did find some flavored oatmeal and one banana they could share. He made them chocolate milk as well; the poor things needed to gain some weight.

It wasn't until lunchtime rolled around that Yoongi heard from the other two. Jin was stable but would have to stay in the hospital for some time. Yoongi asked if the boys could see him, but he was in intensive care and wasn't allowed any visitors who were minors. He didn't know how to tell the boys, so he left that part to their Uncle.

When they showed up that evening, Yoongi was exhausted. Not that the kids were bad, they were perfect angels, actually. The only time they even made any noise was when they asked to go potty. Yoongi had to remind them to eat and drink because they never asked for any. It worried him; they wouldn't eat much at all. Their life of being underfed was showing. Kookie would only eat a few bites before he was done, and Jimin was about the same.

Yoongi has never been an angry or violent man, but right now he wanted to be. How could someone do this to the person they loved, to their children, or really any child? Nobody deserved to be treated that way. He played games with the boys, watched TV, and slept in the armchair in their room. Every morning, he'd wake up, and the boys would be back in the closet. When he asked Jimin why he always went to the closet, his heart about broke when the little boy said it was their safe spot, that Daddy made them go there to be safe from the mean man.

"You'll never have to worry about that man again, Jimin. You are safe here; no one will hurt you."

"When can we see Daddy?"

The million dollar question, Tae had explained that their Daddy was really hurt and sleeping so he could get better. But they are four and two; they don't understand the concept of time. "I'm going to take them to the park. They need some fresh air."

Hobi nodded his head, "I'm going to wait a bit, and then I'm going to head to the hospital and drag Tae home. He spends so much time there that his grades are starting to drop."

He got it; the kid was worried about his brother. It's the only reason Yoongi was still staying with them. Tae had a hard time bonding with the boys, every time he looked at them he saw all the reasons why his brother stayed with that monster. He didn't blame the boys, but he had a hard time opening his heart to them completely. It would be easier when Jin was out and okay.

The boys played in the sandbox. Yoongi tried to get them to play on the jungle gym, but they were content to sit in the sandbox and play quietly. One day, he'd break them out of their shell. They stayed for a few hours, basically until the boys' tummies started to growl. They wouldn't say they were hungry; Yoongi knew that by now. But he'd packed snacks; he was prepared for all of their needs.

"Are you okay?" He'd just gotten home, and Hobi looked absolutely shaken and pissed.

Hobi shook his head, "He came here and demanded to know where his family was. Thank fuck Tae wasn't here."

"You can't tell him if he knew it'll only freak him out more."

The younger nodded his head, "I wasn't planning on it. But I hate lying to him."

Yoongi reached out and squeezed his shoulder, "I know, but sometimes we lie to save the others from the pain they don't deserve."

That night, when he put the boys to bed, Jimin curled into him, "I miss Daddy."

"I know Bubs, and he misses you too. So so much." He pulled him in a little tighter, "Get some sleep, Jiminie."

The boys were playing in the living room when Yoongi got the call, "He's awake; they are moving him to a regular room, and in a few hours, he'll be able to have visitors. Can you bring the boys?"

"Of course, they'll be so excited to see him."

And he was right; when he told the boys about going to see their Daddy, it was the first time he'd ever heard either of them make any kind of noise. They were so excited that both of them screamed and jumped up and down for joy. They cleaned up their mess, which was just their two toys, and then they asked Yoongi every five minutes when they could go. 

Strapping them into their car seats was interesting. While they were still really well-behaved children, it had been around a month since they'd seen their Daddy. But they held Yoongi's hand as they walked into the hospital; they smiled when nurses would coo over them. But as soon as they got into their Daddy's room, they both burst into tears as they rushed to his bedside. Jimin was able to climb up onto the bed, but Kookie was too little.

Yoongi chuckled a bit before picking him up and setting him on the other side of Jin. Tears were in everyone's eyes as they watched the little family reunite. Jin wrapped his arms around the two boys, "Thank you, Yoongi. Tae told me what you did for us, and I, Yoongi, I can never thank you enough."

"It was my pleasure Jin. Your boys are amazing; they are literally the sweetest kids ever. If you ever need a babysitter, I'm your man for sure." He knew that he'd have to watch the boys for a bit longer; Jin was far from being able to even leave the hospital, let alone raise two boys alone. "I'll leave them for a bit; I have to call and check into work anyway."

He'd been neglecting his work, but at least being a freelancer meant that he could make his own schedule. But eventually, he'd have to get back to it; thankfully, he had a decent savings account. So he can stay and help his friends for a little longer. He could hear giggles coming from the room, making his heart flutter. He never wanted a romantic partner, but he did want kids. So watching those two angels has really been the greatest thing he could have asked for.