Chapter 17-The Burial

1 Thessalonians 1:3
Recalling unceasingly before our God and Father your work energized by faith and service motivated by love and unwavering hope in [the return of] our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Days passed and it was finally the day of the burial ceremony. Everything was set. Everybody was dressed in the uniform asoebi which was black and had beautiful white flower designs on them. The men were dressed in the senator suit sewed with the same materials.

The house was decorated elegantly,most especially the outside which was where the event would take place. There was a rented canopy outside, different speakers and lots of food and drinks.
Ego sighed as she felt the tears coming.
Favour was adding some finishing touches to her makeup. Her hair was weaved with attachment into braids and she had packed it into a ponytail.
Her dress- a long sheath dress and was slightly body-hugging but Favour had told her she looked smoking hot as it revealed her shape which wasn't so curvy She didn't feel confident at all.
"Please don't cry unless you will spoil your makeup." Favour said as she rounded up.
"See how beautiful you look!" Favour hailed.

"Babe!" Favour heard her husband call her and quickly blew an air-kiss to Ego and promised to return soon.
Ego got and gazed at herself in the mirror. She didn't feel like herself, she felt uneasy and frustrated.
"You can do this! You can do this!" She rapped out to herself.
"No that's not true! I can't do this!" She said slumping back on the chair. Tears began to cloud her vision slowly and she tried to fan it with her hands.

Chibuzor in search for Olisa to help him with his sleeve buttons entered the room and he was rooted to the ground when he saw Ego. He had never seen her that way before. He watched her say to herself "You can do this!You can do this!" But then she failed at it and sat back on the chair.

He walked up to her with courage and pulled her up from the chair gently. Ego was surprised by his presence and his action.
He pulled her into a hug and she didn't resist, she just let herself be swallowed by his arms and intoxicated by his beautiful scent.
His scent was so bold and masculine-he wore a Hugo boss cologne.

"It's going to be alright. I promise" He said as he soothingly rubbed her back.
"I don't know if I'm ready for today. I mean I look so ugly, I hate the way this makes my face feel, I hate the way I'm so weak right now. I wish we can move this program to next year or something. My mother still feels alive to me" Ego said she tears were already trying to spill. She fanned them hurriedly with her hands.

"Sshhh. You don't look ugly, you look breathtaking. I'm not even joking. You're not weak right now okay? You're strong,you're more than a conqueror. That was just the devil trying to decieve you" Chibuzor said looking into her eyes and she nodded.
"Now let's go out there and you show the devil that his lies can't fool you" Chibuzor said and she pulled him into another hug. This action surprised Chibuzor.
"Thank you so much Mr Chibuzor" she said and gave him a gentle smile.

He didn't like her calling him Mr Chibuzor but he didn't say anything either. "Umm please could you help me button this?" Chibuzor asked pointing at the unbottoned lower end of his sleeve.
"Sure thing" Ego said and buttoned it for him.
"Shall we?" Chibuzor said as he proffered his elbow.
She took a deep breath, grabbed his arm and they left the house.

Everyone stared at Ego and Chibuzor as they walked to their seats. Some thought they were married. That's how perfect they looked while holding hands.
They took their seats and the ceremony began.
Everything seemed to happened in a flash and then the MC said "now we would like to welcome the first daughter of the deceased to come and say words of tribute to her mother".
Ego frozed. She didn't realize what what going on until Chibuzor squeezed her hands gently and gave her a nod, urging her to go ahead to the podium and give her speech.