Chapter 8-Happy never after

Colossians 4:2
Be earnest and unwearied and steadfast in your prayer [life], being [both] alert and intent in [your praying] with thanksgiving
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ego paid the driver and got down from the taxi. She was excited as her mind was filled with thoughts of her mother telling her she didn't have to marry Mr Banjo anymore.

It would have been a nightmare for her if she had gotten married without proper education.
She remembered her chemistry teacher from secondary school, Mr Folorunsho who always told the girls in her class at that time that none of them should get married without completing their education and getting a good job.

"If you marry a man and you haven't yet completed your education first, the man will kick you around like a ball since he's the one paying the bills" Mr Folorunsho had advised them.
He was one of her favorite teachers as he inspired her a lot.
Ego yawned as she remembered the good old days. She was going to be twenty years old this year and she still hadn't attented the university.
It had been six years since she graduated from secondary school, trying to raise money.
Ego had finished secondary school quite early.

She was lost in her thoughts as she imagined herself, wearing a blue scrub attending to patients. That was her utmost dream.

Reality struck her as she got to the gate of her house. She entered the compound and walked across Favour's house. She had missed Favour so much.

She remembered those times when she and Favour would sneak out of the compound to buy suya across the road. She smiled at the memory.
She strode quickly to her house, noticing the house was lit up from the light reflecting from the cotton curtain at the door.
'Must be the handwork of Mr Banjo' She said inwardly. Mr Banjo had been taking care of all their debts for Ego's hand in marriage.
"At least he's useful for one thing" Ego muttered and chuckled.

She swerved the curtain and entered the house. Her mother was sitting on the floor with her brothers who were eating some oranges while their mother was peeling it for them.

Orange peels were all over the ground.
Her mother Chika was dressed in brown traditional attire and her golden brown skin was pronounced.
"Mummy good evening o" Ego greeted her mother.
"My dear good evening. How are you?" Her mother asked.
"I'm fine Ma"
"Kaka! So you people cannot greet" Ego scolded her brothers who were focused on the oranges they were licking.
"Good evening sister" they greeted and Ego gave them a gentle smile.
"When did you get a job?" Ego's mother questioned as Ego sat on the floor.

"I went for an interview today for a house cook position and I got the job" Ego explained.
"Wow! And you didn't tell me earlier?" Her mother exclaimed
"I'm sorry mummy, I forgot to tell you" Ego said.
"How much are they paying you?" Her mother asked
"15k per month" Ego stated and her mother made the sound "hmmmm"
"I'm so happy I don't have to marry Mr Banjo again" Ego blurted.

"I never said you're not marrying him" Chika said and Ego's heart sank.
"What? " Ego half-yelled
"Ego nwa m you're still going to marry him. Fifteen thousand is enough to take care of us. Your brothers' school fees hasn't been paid, the house rent has not been paid, how're we going to feed and when will you enter the university "Chika listed out.

Tears fell down Ego's face.
"Everything will be sorted out. That doesn't mean I should marry him mummy! He's too old for me and I'm not even yet in university neither do I have a good job and you're already talking of marriage " Ego explained to her mother who's mind seemed to be made up.

"That's exactly why I want you to marry him. If you marry him, we'll be out of this bondage and he promised to take you to any university of your choice"
"But mummy, I can't marry him. He already has wives. Why can't we just wait. One day I'll be rich and all this would be forgotten" Ego said with tears rolling down her cheeks.