Chapter 7 -Sasha!

James 1:2-3: My brothers and sisters, when you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, 3 because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience.

•••

"So this is kitchen, all the ingredients you need are here" Mr Dami blabbed as Ego kept nodding. He had been showing her around the house for a while and she was bored already. She was interested in talking about her salary.

It seemed Mr Dami had forgotten about that part.

Nevertheless, she waited for him to finish before asking him.

He finished showing her around the house and Ego reminded asked him about her pay. "Umm Sir,how much will you be paying me?"

"Oh yes! I almost forgot. I'll be paying you fifteen thousand naira per month" He said with a brow raised up.

Ego wanted to object but she didn't want to seem rude or desperate for money, though she was.

'Besides, beggars can't be choosers' she thought.

She was going to save up money, attend the university and get her family out of poverty.

After he was done showing her around, he instructed her to prepare some lunch for Sasha and specifically told her not to add too much pepper, as Sasha hated spicy food. All the ingredients she needed were already in the kitchen.

Mr Dami left the house after a few minutes and it was Ego, Amarachi and Sasha that were left in the house.

Ego sighed as she entered the kitchen to start cooking. "Hi" Amarachi said and Ego got startled. "Oh my God, you scared me" Ego said holding her chest

"Sorry I didn't mean to" Amarachi replied holding a bucket and a mop.

"Umm, so how have you been doing?" Amarachi asked,

"I've been doing great" Ego lied, her life had been the opposite.

"That's nice" there was an awkward silence between them.Ego still thought that Amarachi was Chibuzor's girlfriend.

Ego was too embarrassed to say anything because of what had happened at Miss Yinka's. The memory was still fresh in her.

"So now you work here ?"

"Yeah I do, how's life here?" Ego asked and Sasha immediately barged into the kitchen.

"Your own life will soon turn into a nightmare if you don't do what you're here to do!" Sasha yelled at Ego and she quickly apologized "I'm sorry ma"

"And you ! Aren't you supposed to be cleaning the compound?" Sasha said pointing at Amarachi who was unfazed by her yells. She had gotten used to them by now.

" Yes ma, I just came here to get soap" Amarachi lied confidently , she had come here to talk to Ego. She was hoping to have a friend around here but Saha had ruined her chance.

Amarachi grabbed the detergent she didn't need from the kitchen slab and went back to continue her work while Ego stood there, feeling terrified of Sasha.

"Yes!? Will you get back to work!" Sasha shouted and Ego quickly started her work.

*Knock*Knock. Ego knocked on Sasha's door as she held a plate of yam and egg sauce. Ego knocked severally but there was no answer so she slowly opened the door.

Sasha had been on her phone and purposely ignored Ego .

"Did I say you should come in?" Sasha harshly asked and Ego's heartbeat increased.