Chapter 5-With God all things are possible

Matthew 19:26

But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible".

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Ego stared at herself through the broken mirror in her hands. The dried tears on her face were visible.

It was a Sunday morning and mama had gone to the market with the twins.

Ego had cried all night.

She wondered why her life was this way. She kept reminding herself that a solution would come but it seem like that.

She couldn't believe that her mother would consider her getting married to Mr Adebanjo. She wished she was born through queen Elizabeth or some other rich family.

She had felt so sad in her life. The only time she had felt this sad in her life was when her father died, one of the saddest moments of her life. She was twelve by then.

However, she mustered up strength and began doing her morning chores.

She started off by washing the dishes. Ego chuckled as bubbles from the soap formed on her hand.

That was her first chuckle throughout her doleful day.
She remembered Mr Chibuzor.

"At least him bugging me everyday is better than getting married to that old man and being fired" she said to herself.

She discarded the thought of Chibuzor immediately and focused on doing her chores.

Ego found her self singing an old hymn she used to sing so many years ago when the fire for Jesus was still burning in her.

Over the years she had become too choked up in her problems that she forgot about God. She couldn't remember the last time she prayed or went to church. She saw going to church as something done every Christmas.

She shrugged the thought off for she felt it was not important. She continued doing the dishes and proceeded to sweep the house.

After doing all the house chores, Ego sat down on the mat. Her breath was heavy and her chest was moving up and down. The thought of her getting married really made her scared, especially to a man who already had two wives.

Ego calmed herself down by drinking some water.

'I really need a job' Ego thought.

'Even if it means sweeping the gutters or being a maid' that was how desperate Ego was.

"You know what, I'm Ego! Since when did I lack confidence. I want to become a nurse and help my family and that is exactly what I will do!" Ego said to herself in confidence.

She was poor but still had pride in herself, a good one.

Ego got dressed and left the house in search of a new job.

It was a scorching hot day and Ego soon realised she was just passing Miss Yinka's supermarket. She felt so embarrassed remembering how Miss Yinka disgraced her. Ego stared at the supermarket for a while and Miss Yinka appeared behind the glass doors and shot daggers her way.

Ego was terrified and immediately looked away continuing her journey around Lagos.

She had no idea where she was going though.

Ego had been roaming around the city but no one found her useful since she had not been through the university.

She was now in a street which looked like where rich people lived.