Chapter 29: Charlie

Did I expect to dump that all on Nick? No. Am I glad I did? Hell yes. He slips his Truham sweater onto me and his hands linger on the hem, and with a slight tug I'm pulled into a soft kiss and hug. If this was all we would do for the rest of our lives I would be happy, nothing could penetrate that happiness. It's not even cold, but he knows that it makes me comfortable.

Nick pulls back slightly from the hug, "Ok, we should go downstairs if we're going to eat before school."

"School is stupid, we should stay home," I groan.

"But we'll end up stupid if we don't go," Nick laughs.

"Ughhhhh, fineeee."

We head downstairs and see Sarah in the kitchen making toast with some fruit on the side. It's a quiet breakfast until Sarah asks me,

"Charlie? Are you going to talk to your mum today?"

Well if I was being honest I was just never going to talk to her again and then never have to deal with it.

"Maybe after school today." It's a lie, and Sarah can probably see right through it.

She leaves the situation alone for now, though I know she'll bring it up again, which is exactly the reason I should go talk to my mum. Before long I'm walking through the gates at Truham with Nick's hand in mine. After the past couple days, this is the last place I want to be, but I can't avoid my problems forever, even if I really want to. The day goes by in a haze. All I can think about is the impending conversation with my mum, if that's even what she wants to be to me. Nick and I are walking home from school, me lost in my thoughts, when he says something to me.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask.

"I asked if you were ok, but I think I know the answer."

"Sorry, I'm just. I just."

Nick stops me, "You don't need to be sorry about anything. This fucking sucks and you're allowed to be upset."

"It seems like all I'll ever be is upset."

Nick doesn't say anything, instead he wraps his arms around me and leaves a lingering hand on my back before heading to unlock the door of his house, our house? Up in his room I consider my options.

I can stay here and cuddle and kiss my boyfriend in the safeness of the Nelson household.

Or I could face the music and go home and try to talk to my mum.

As much as I would love to choose option one and put off the conversation with my mum indefinitely, I know that's not an option.

"Come over with me to talk with my mum?" I say quietly as I change into a hoodie from his closet.

"Of course."

No hesitation. It hurts me in a way because I know I'm not the only one who will be hurt in this conversation. It will also come down on him, and it's not fair, will never be fair. But this is my life, and I have the deal with the cards I've been dealt. The walk to the house is quicker than it usually is, and I don't know if it's because I'm walking faster, or if it's just fate pushing me into hell. I take a deep breath before knocking on my door. It's a weird feeling. Knocking on the door to your own house. Being unable to just walk in as you have been for the past 16 years of your life. Tori opens the door and immediately pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry," she whispers.

I pull back slightly, still holding onto her arms, "For what Tor?"

"For not being able to protect you."