Chapter 26: Nick

Though Charlie rushed out, I'm feeling a lot better now that I've actually gotten some sleep. I start to grab my uniform to get ready when I hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Nicky? Can I come in?" My mum says, knocking.

Something is off with her voice.

"Of course mum." I say.

She opens the door and my suspicions are correct. Her eyes are puffy and red. She'd been crying.

"Mum! What's wrong? What happened? Is someone dying? Is it Nellie? Oh my god is Nellie dead?"

My mom giggles a little, "No Nicky, no one is dead and Nellie is fine."

"What's wrong then?"

Mum sits down next to me.

She takes a deep breath, "Charlie's dad messaged me."

My mum hands me the phone and I read the messages.

Julio: Hi Sarah. Don't be surprised if Charlie comes knocking on your door this morning. Jane and him got into a huge fight and Charlie packed his things and left. I'm talking to her now and seeing if he can come back in a couple of days. I apologize for the burden he's been the past month. I understand if you don't want him to come over again, and I will find another arrangement. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Sarah: Your son. Is not a burden to me. I have and will always welcome him into my home, especially if it is where he feels safe. Don't rush to find other arrangements. He is perfectly welcome in my home.

I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I can't believe anyone would say that about their child, but especially about Charlie. His blue eyes pop into my mind, and how they have been clouded by tears and sorrow for so long. They deserved to shine. I promised myself at this moment that it would be my goal to make them shine.

"Mum, are you sure it's okay for him to stay here? I know it's been a lot but-"

"Nicky baby, I would never turn Charlie away and you know that." She's crying now.

It's hard to see my mom cry. She is the most selfless person I know, and I just want to make sure that I show how much I love and appreciate her. We hear a knock at the door, and I immediately launch down the stairs. To my surprise, Charlie is standing there calm, a blank expression on his face. It was like staring at the ghost of him.

"Can I borrow a uniform?" Charlie breaks the silence.

"Um, yeah of course, but are you sure you want to go today?

"Why wouldn't we go? Everything is fine." He says in a cold tone.

I don't know what is going on, or what happened, but I need him to tell me so I know how to help. We go up to my room and I hand him an extra shirt and jacket that he can wear. Every motion he takes is slow and calculated, not rushing or frantic. This is almost worse than him in a full breakdown. It's scary.

"Charlie-"

"We are going to be late." He says, and leaves my room and heads down the stairs.

Why is he avoiding me? I follow after him and I drive us to school. Unlike our usual drives to school the silence hangs dead in the air. He doesn't plug his phone into the radio to play his favorite songs, which have also become my favorites as well. Instead he just buckles his seat belt and looks out the passenger window. I might as well not exist. This isn't about me. I know it's not about me. Still, I can't help but feel a little hurt that he is refusing to tell me. It's not long until we reach school. He still lets me grab his hand as we walk to our lockers.