Chapter- 32 Production

⚡⚜️

After Shinso had given them both a long lecture about being safe and slapped a face mask on Kami, Kaminari and Fae sat in the back seat of Kendra's blacked-out SUV. As soon as those doors shut, the happiness slowly ebbed toward the reality of the assignment they were going on. They were driving Fae right into Chisaki's grasp, and throughout the entire silent journey, he simply couldn't stop his eyes from sliding back over to Fae's worried expression.

When they rolled to a stop outside an ominous-looking gate, Kaminari wove his finger through Fae's smaller ones and gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "Hey, it's okay."

"Denki," Fae whispered, and somehow the electric blonde simply knew what she needed.

Kaminari unclicked his seat belt and scooted across the backseat until his bicep rested against hers. He placed their combined hand in his lap and whispered, "It'll be okay peaches. I promise to protect you. Can you do me a favor though?"

"Hmm? A favor?"

He desperately wanted to see his girl smile again. "If you need me to break us out of there, can you scream GERTRUDE at the top of your lungs?"

Despite her eyes darting through the looming buildings that housed hundreds of painful memories, Fae broke out in surprised giggles. "Gertrude?"

"Yup! If you need me to get us out, just scream," Kaminari cleared his throat behind his hand and shrieked like a dinosaur, "GEEEERRRTRRRRUUUUDEE!"

Fae leaned into Kami's bicep as she snorted a giggle, "I love that! But why Gertrude?"

"Because, no one in this century is named that, and since it's a name no one will be too suspicious about."

"I don't know boo, I'd be so caught off guard if someone screamed," she tipped her head back and squealed, "GERTRUUUUUUDEEE!"

Finding someone who has the same type of sense of humor and the same level of lack of shame was a rarity for Kaminari, so his ears wiggled in absolute delight as he and Fae launched into a belly-bouncing round of laughter as they continued to scream the unattractive outdated name at one another. After a downright hideous howl from Kaminari, Fae buried her head into his shoulder and wheezed, "oh my gosh, stop! I can't!! I can't breathe."

"No! Don't suffocate on me, peaches! Quick- let me do some mouth-to-mouth."

Kaminari slid his hands on either side of her face and nearly brought his smiling lips to hers, but Fae laughingly shoved him away. "STAPH!! I can't be all horny going in there!" She desperately tried for a disapproving expression as she said, "We have to be serious."

Kaminari looked at her quivering laughing lips. "Yes yes, we must be serious."

He too tried to extinguish his happiness, but it was absolutely impossible because two laughing pairs of golden eyes were locked together as the blondes desperately tried to fight the smiles they broke out into every time they saw one another.

Kendra absolutely hated herself for watching the two dumb blondes in the rearview, but she couldn't help it. Kaminari had just done something she had never been able to do. He had singlehandedly stopped Fae's panic spiral simply by being his chaotic downright idiotic self. He brought a lightness to her usually scheming friend, and while Kendra would never admit it, she was thankful he had invited himself along because Fae needed that sort of electric energy in her darkened life.

It was also really cute to see Fae and Denki nearly nose to nose in an unspoken but agreed-upon competition to see which of the giggly people would lose by laughing first.