Seventy Nine

RENEWAL

It was a Friday, the squad was all sat in the briefing room for the end-of-week meeting, Y/N sat up at the first desk, her legs leant on the table in front of her as she listened into the chatter around her, Terry stood up beside her with a case f...

It was a Friday, the squad was all sat in the briefing room for the end-of-week meeting, Y/N sat up at the first desk, her legs leant on the table in front of her as she listened into the chatter around her, Terry stood up beside her with a case file in hand, meanwhile, sat in the second row was Jake and Charles, they munched on candy as they shared jokes between themselves.

"Lastly, on a personal note, as many of you know, Kevin and I have recently reconciled," Holt concluded his chat as he sat on the desk in front of his squad.

"Noice. Somebody's getting some." Jake chuckled as Charles smirked along.

"It's true. I am. Now, when we originally wed, we didn't know how long gay marriage would be legal, so we had a somewhat rushed ceremony." Holt reminisced on his fond short memories

~

"Do you, Kevin--" The officiant looked up from his book.

"Yes."

"And do you--"

"Yes. Yes, we do. We're married." Holt announced holding Kevin's hand.

~

Holt recalled before returning to the present, "Kevin has always regretted it, so we're having a vow renewal ceremony. This time, we're pulling out all the stops. It's will be a truly extravagant affair." He raised two fingers as he beamed.

"Oh, how extravagant are we talking?" Charles' ears pricked up. "Champagne pyramid?"

"Destination wedding?" Terry guessed, leaning off the glass.

"Celebrity officiant?" Jake piped up with a hand raise.

"Oh! Chocolate fountain?" Y/N chimed in.

"We got the salad forks," Holt revealed as everyone sat there emotionless. "Can you believe it, a second fork? Who do we think we are?" He cackled as his eyes darted around the silent room. "Oh, no. You're shocked at how garish it is. Now I don't even wanna tell you the other surprise I have in store for Kevin."

"Wait, let me guess. You're getting bread plates?"

"Don't be absurd. We're not crazy." Holt chuckled calming the boy. "No, the big surprise is... I'm retiring from the NYPD." He pressed his hands together.

"Wait."

"What?"

"Huh?"

"Why did you lead with the salad forks?" Jake wailed, thumping his fists into the desk.

~

The squad sat there quietly as they took in the information, "You're leaving the NYPD?" Terry broke the silence.