{ thirty-eight } the home she made

[TW: Mentions and descriptions of death, blood, slight gore, and body image issues. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 852|The year of decaying communication

|Year 852|
The year of decaying communication.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

•• ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ••

THE SMELL WAS FAMILIAR. It was something she instantly recognized, even if this was her first encounter with it. The sharp, crisp, air that filled her chest with each breath made her shoulders slowly sag as she took in the site ahead of her. Even the waves, crashing against their shores, seemed to hum an old tune that Kira couldn't quite place. The ocean was nothing short of dreamlike.

Kira slid off of Po's back, her eyes still staring at the massive expanse of water in front of her. She only adjusted her focus when Poncho shuffled in place and began walking towards the edge of the shore.

"Wait," Kira ordered sternly. Po huffed as he stood still, and Kira slowly made her way to the sea. It moved so smoothly, and she took a step back when a section of it separated from the main mass of water and pushed itself deeper into the sand, closer to her feet. "I don't know if it's safe to drink."

Instead of backing away when another flow of water attempted to reach her boots, Kira bent down and cupped her hands. The water was a much lighter color the closer she got to it and, as it passed through her fingers, she could see that nothing harmful was hiding inside the liquid. After all, it really was just water.

"You would not like how that tastes," Kira coughed, her mouth pursed as she leaned back in disgust. "I don't feel hydrated at all." Poncho let out a high pitched whine mixed with a snort, and Kira rolled her eyes as she moved to stand up.

"I'm not finding the same humor," she told him shortly, wiping her mouth with her forearm.

"Don't drink something you know nothing about," Levi scolded as he walked up to her, greeting Poncho with a pet on his nose before pulling Kira away from the ocean by her bicep. "What are you, a clueless infant?"

"Are you scared of water?" Kira asked, raising an eyebrow. Levi clicked his tongue as he scoffed, letting go of her arm.

"Woohoo! Is this thing seriously all salt water?!" Both of them turned when they heard Hange's yell of excitement. They were standing, knee deep in the sea with their hands on their head as they tried to muffle their own excitement. They hurriedly bent down, and both Levi and Kira went over to them to give them cover. "Oh, what's that?"