{ thirty-one } the real dream

[TW: Mentions and descriptions of death, violence, blood, and gore. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 850|The year of familiar tragedy

|Year 850|
The year of familiar tragedy.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

LEADER OF THE SCOUTS, Commander of the Survey Regiment, Erwin Smith watched both sides of the battle from on top of the wall. From the moment things appeared to be running smoothly with their plans, Erwin knew something was amiss. Sure it was pessimistic, but the Scouts were notorious for nothing ever going the way they wanted it to. This was definitely no exception.

      They were completely surrounded. Reiner had transformed inside Shiganshina, while the Beast Titan formed a barrier by controlling over two dozen Titans that made a closed ring around their only way out. The Beast Titan's battle intelligence was not something Erwin could underestimate a second time.

      The troops below were already struggling with finishing off two and three-meter Titans. With the countless deaths that had brought them to this point, the strength of the soldiers that were left was almost laughable. They lacked the experience, focus, and devotion. From down below, he could tell by Levi's hasty movements that he was getting frustrated with how things were turning out. No strategy, no matter how well thought out, could really be put to good use with the remaining soldiers.

      Logically, he should've had his two strongest pieces fighting the Beast Titan. They already knew how Reiner acted with the Armored Titan, and they could even anticipate Bertolt's next moves based on his personality. The Beast Titan brought an entirely different game-piece to the board. He controlled the Titans, even made them appear with just one scream. Any smart commander would've put their best fighters against their toughest opponent.

      And yet, Erwin sent Kira to the back.

      He knew she didn't take positive reinforcement lightly. As he got to know her over the years, he saw how her traumatized mind was not capable of trusting words of encouragement. Anything that didn't have a cruel, underhanded punishment was something Kira did not see as normal. He wasn't entirely sure how long, but Kira's mind had been carefully manipulated until she came into the Scouts. He knew he had to meticulously watch how he phrased his words, but he said it anyway. He meant it.

      Never did he think he would have his life saved at the hands of a child that lived in the forest while he was on an expedition. The second her small body jumped on the horse's back as they rode into Wall Maria, he understood that she would be a special puzzle to solve. After all, Erwin had always been smart enough to figure something out within days of finding a problem. But, he was only interested because of what discovering someone living out in Titan territory meant for his dream.