{ twenty-nine } to be gentle

[TW: Mentions and descriptions of death, violence, blood, and gore. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 850|The year of familiar tragedy

|Year 850|
The year of familiar tragedy.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

      SHE KEPT HER WORD.

Almost immediately after she had become Queen, Historia pushed for a change in how abandoned or orphaned children are treated. With Levi's guidance, they began with The Underground. Their job was to extract any children in need and bring them to a building that was funded by the aristocrats, residing in northern Wall Sina.

Kira jumped from building to building, using her gear to land on the different rooftops as she overlooked the ragged streets of the Underground. She hadn't been back since her first encounter with Levi. He didn't seem troubled by the fact that he was returning, so Kira chose to simply follow the orders he gave her rather than wait for him to bring up any issues he might've had.

"Hey! Stop!" Kira looked down, watching a man shout as he pointed to his left. "Boy! I saw that! Get back here!" The man sprinted after the thief, and it was then that Kira noticed how small the suspect was.

"You think you can steal from me and get away with it?!" It wasn't long before the man had snatched the perpetrator, shoving the boy to the ground and standing over him. He kneeled down, his arm raising to punch the young boy in the face before Kira kicked him in his side. With the force of her strike, his body flew away from the boy, crash-landing into the wall across the street unconscious.

"Sorry, I'm very sorry," Kira turned her head to the cowering young boy as he held a loaf of bread in his quivering hands. His voice was raspier than it should be for someone his age, and Kira could assume it was from dehydration as his skin looked as rough as his voice sounded. "H-hungry, I'm hungry." His large gray eyes filled with tears as he shook, showcasing his extreme guilt over his actions.

"Come on." Kira said, turning away from the child.

      The city made her uncomfortable. She was only there because her and Levi were the most efficient choices of completing the task as fast as possible. Children made her uncomfortable, especially the ones who came from unfortunate backgrounds. This was the last round they were making in the city before they met up with the others as they helped Historia with the children who were already staying at the orphanage.

"N-no," Kira stopped as the child's voice spoke up. "I can't." Kira looked back at the boy as he stared at the bread in his hands.