{ fifteen } showing mercy

[TW: Mentions and descriptions of death, violence, blood, and gore. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 850|The year of familiar tragedy

|Year 850|
The year of familiar tragedy.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

      "IT'S BETTER THIS WAY," Erwin secured the jacket's belt loop around his waist. Kira stood on the other side of his desk, waiting with her arms crossed. "With you and Levi inside the wagon, they'll have comfort in knowing that they won't need to be on alert and focusing on our two most formidable soldiers."

      He was right. That stopped surprising Kira long ago. However, this next move would be the first time her face would be shown inside Wall Sina for nine years. The Military Police were the ones who would escort them, the most likely candidates to have at least an old description on her features and an educated guess made by him on what she would look like now. Of course, with her wearing the same cloak on her back that she had for so long, they didn't need any other identifiable characteristics.

      "Is there someone who will recognize you?" He folded the cuffs on his wrists, straightening out his long sleeved shirt underneath his coat.

      "Everybody recognizes me." From the stories about her, to the confirmation of her existence years prior, one look at her cloak with her usage of the gear would be enough for even the simplest minds to connect the two together.

      "But," Erwin made his way around the desk, walking to the door and leaving it open so Kira could exit. "There is someone, something, who you have been trying to avoid."

      From their interrupted discussion two days before, it was clear that Erwin was seeking more solid information. It was in his nature, it seemed, to attempt to get to the bottom of everything. Kira wasn't sure what it was that was holding her back from properly answering him like he wanted. No, she knew it was her.

      She didn't want to talk about it, similar to the way she didn't want to be within the Inner Walls. To avoid the possibility of crossing paths with them, with him. She wanted to be away from it, no further confrontation necessary. Though, the more questions Erwin asked her, the more she realized a truth that made her even more dismissive.

      She doesn't remember.

      It came in flashes. When she cooked for a group of veterans instead of eating alone. On the days when she couldn't complete a move she'd seen Levi perform. His voice remained at the back of her mind, his one-sided conversations that led to discipline adjustment. Not the time before, nor the first few weeks after entering. Kira didn't remember. She even forgot the look on his face when he would train her, only the ticking sounds from his pocket watch resting ever-so-comfortably inside his left chest pocket. The only thing she couldn't avoid was the sound of his voice, the cigar-induced raspiness, that named every new exercise she'd have to perfect.