{ two } new opportunities

[TW: Mentions of death and implications of past abuse. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 843|Two years before humanity's darkest day

|Year 843|
Two years before humanity's darkest day.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

     EMOTIONS.

THEY AREN'T A new invention. They've been around as long as humans have, maybe even longer if animals are able to feel them as well. Everyone expresses them differently. Some people cry when they fall, some laugh when they're told a joke, and some yell when their things are stolen. The bottom line is, their thoughts and feelings become so pent up, that expressing themselves is their only outlet.

For Kira, that outlet was taken. Her cries were left unanswered, her yells were ignored, and her laughter was discouraged. Over time, the jumbled mess of dismissed feelings overflowed, so much so that it felt like nothing. So much something that had nowhere to go, and eventually died out. She wondered, if humans and emotions had such a deep connection to each other, was she even human anymore? But, they had to go somewhere, didn't they? So, where were hers? Where were her emotions?

She relearned them. At school. She relearned what they were like through literature. Pages and pages dedicated to diagrams of their effects on the human body. Paragraphs and paragraphs solely focused on being able to look close enough and know exactly what that person is feeling. Then, learning to take that knowledge and manipulate it at will. What makes a person angry? What makes them sad? Vulnerable? Weak enough to loosen their defences just enough to strike them dead. Maybe that's a better way to describe her. Dead. A walking corpse whose only purpose for existing is to drag others to their demise.

She could remember feeling sad when she arrived at school, fresh from her transfer. Before that, she could remember a time that was only sadness. There were waves of pain, similar to the steaming burn of receiving the matching mark all students had on their mid-backs but, much, much worse. There were also periods of severe and unimaginable anger, so outlandish that it couldn't be described in any works of the literature she had familiarized herself with, only to be recognized by experience. She couldn't remember exactly when she lost them, when they drowned out and fizzled to the nothing that she holds onto now. Maybe it was when she died, or maybe after.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Three days she'd been outside the walls alone. Assuming Joey, Alex, and Katy returned with little trouble, she was the only living human on the outside. For those three days, she'd been practicing her balance on the mobility gear, never parting with it in order to completely familiarize herself with the fluid movements that were needed to master it, as well as using its three dimensional ability to its maximum.