{ three } revenge is unsatisfying

[TW: Mentions and descriptions of death, blood, violence, and gore. Please be aware before reading.]

|Year 844|One year before humanity's darkest day

|Year 844|
One year before humanity's darkest day.
━━━━━━━━━━━━

      THEY WERE SO CLOSE, so close yet so far away from the freedom they desired. The only thing that stopped them from leaving The Underground was the carriage that was parked in front of the final exit.

The platform they stood on was bathed in the bright glow of the hot sun, which they had to cover their eyes so their vision could adjust. The carriage was almost the exact same as the one that took Jan just an hour before, the only difference being the gold lining that displayed nothing but wealth and comfortable living painted on all sides of the wagon.

      "Are these the guys?" A deep voice sounded from within the carriage.

      "Yes," The man that led them here confirmed. "I've heard they're excellent."

      "Who the hell are you?" Levi asked as he lowered his arm, his eyes having finally adjusted to the brightness of the open stairwell. Though he could only see a snippet of the man inside the carriage, wearing an expensive suit, the side of his face that Levi could see was trimmed cleanly.

       "It's understandable that you're wary of me," The deep voice in the carriage replied. "But, you'll learn that it's okay to trust me."

      "How could we?" Furlan scoffed.

      "The fact that I'm here says everything," The voice responded. "I'm at risk just by being here. Have you received the deposit already?" He asked knowingly.

     "I don't know how things work up top," Levi began. "But, in our world, it's called taking a hostage."

      "That's just a contingency plan we had in place." The voice disregarded. "When you have successfully completed the job, you won't only be getting a large sum of money, but also citizenship on the surface." His answer had the trio taken aback. It was too good to be true, it had to be. In fact, the ridiculous - impossible - offer made Levi turn around immediately in disinterest as he began walking back down the stairway that led them here.

       "I'll tell you this one thing," The voice called in an attempt to regain Levi's attention. "Regardless of whether you accept this job or not, the target will still make contact. In other words, you can't remain unrelated in this matter." The way Levi had completely faced the carriage once again let the voice know that he would hear the plan he had come up with, to which the voice let out an audible chuckle.