𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗 | 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐃

ততততত

𝐈 𝐌 𝐎 𝐆 𝐄 𝐍

Tobin attempts to shoot an arrow at the makeshift target, missing it completely as it warbles off into the forest.

"Damn it," he hisses, then turns to me with a clear frustration in his eyes. He's supposed to be this valiant warrior trained to perfection, an undefeated and uncapturable thief. He can wield a sword and draw blood from any creature that defies him. But, despite his prowess, he cannot shoot a bow and arrow.

It makes me smile knowing that Tobin isn't a master at everything.

He brought me out of the castle this evening, and I'm thankful for the revitalizing air. I felt caged, constricted, and now Elena unearths a whole conundrum I can't even fathom. A baby. She wants me to combat Leighton by denying him what he longs to use me for: a pretty face, a wife, a mother to his children.

She wants me to be pregnant with Tobin's child.

Except, how can I do just that? One look at Tobin, and I want to run far away from this kingdom. I long to sink into the kindness those brown irises offer, the security and protection of a thief who covets a princess chained to a fate she could never change. The whole situation feels hopeless to me as if I'm drowning under an ocean of oil.

"You're holding it wrong," I say while analyzing his poor grasp on the arrow.

"My fucking fingers weren't made to do this," Tobin curses as he releases another arrow. This one flies past the target, slicing the fluff of a dandelion. "Hunting is easier with a sword."

I laugh. "You're the only one who thinks that. Many Lagulonian hunters rely on a bow and arrow to provide for their families, not a sword."

"None of your hunters have met me," he crooks his brow at me, lowering my bow that he holds within his arms. "I bet I can hunt you down with just a sword."

"You won't, because you're just too darn predictable," I smirk, crossing my arms across my chest. "You can't even take a step inside the castle without me knowing."

"We ain't in the castle, princess," he gestures to the shadows of the forest behind him, and the open meadow that surrounds the homestead. "I know this forest better with my eyes closed. You won't make it far without me catching you."

I grin. "Is that a challenge?"

"You fucking bet it is."

I accept it with a quick nod, nearly jumping at the chance to prove to Tobin that I will always have the upper hand.

Tobin returns my bow and quiver of arrows back to me, all while retrieving his sword to ready himself for the hunt. Beneath that cocky mischievous persona, I know I can outwit that cunning thief. I've done it countless times before, but there's a wildness that ripples under his skin longing to awaken from hibernation.

"Rules are simple," a crooked smile edging those fine lips. He smiles as if the world isn't turning to horse shit, as if our love stood a fighting chance. "Stay within sight of the homestead, and give me ten minutes to catch you."

I laugh. "Ten minutes? It took me thirty seconds."

"You better start running," he takes a step towards me, then another, and another. "You don't wanna know all the things I can do when I capture you and make you mine."

My imagination springs to life. I want to know his intentions, because I know they're forbidden and devilishly vulgar. With the lick of his tongue across his lips, he commences the hunt.