𝐓𝐖𝐎 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐄𝐅

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

Evergreen trees.

They're rare in Lagulon, but strangely common around the lakeside dipping down from the highest peak—Mt. Elora. I reckon from years of experience that this is the only damn location in the kingdom that has towering pines like this.

I always come to this place, considering it's been abandoned for generations. Not a damn person knows about it. Er, maybe a few that I trust. There's an old homestead and stable just off the edge of the shoreline, as well as an overgrown meadow. Once upon a time, it would've made a great family home or farm, but it's not like I'll ever have the time for that.

Not with the royal knights about to spear swords into my back if they discover who I am.

Somehow, this secluded haven is a place where Neph and I find ourselves more times than not. Nephthys—my dumbass stallion who runs like midnight shadows. Her and I have been everywhere, done everything, seen everything.

As Neph rides into the meadow, I catch the silhouette of another rider by the homestead. I recognize the tan horse with white speckles on its hyde. Gareth, or so I thought. The man waiting at the abandoned homestead dresses in dull iron armour, twirling a blade around in circles in boredom.

I draw my own sword, just to ensure that if this does go rogue, I'm not ending up on the chopping block.

I swing down off Neph and approach the armoured man. He spins around, and his blue eyes lock on mine in an instant.

I lower my sword at the recognition. I was right. It's just Gareth.

A beaming smile crosses his lips. "Thought I'd find you here."

"I told you never to track me down," I laugh, but grim memories of the fallout remain fresh, as if adding salt to an open wound. "How long did it take you?"

Probably days. Months even. Gareth wouldn't have a fucking clue where I'd be if he'd started searching for me yesterday. You see, I'm pretty good at cleaning up my tracks. I wrap dark fabric around my facial features when I perform a heist to conceal my identity, only to remove them in the daylight to stroll the streets unharmed. The nicknames the people of Lagulon have for me are endless.

Nightwalker. Moon Thief. Those are my favourites. Close contenders include asshole and fucker. But they don't know of my identity, of who I am. I'm just a story, a myth.

Gareth groans. "Two months. Didn't get a lead until a month ago when I heard the Duke of Summervale lost his entire month's earnings," he crooks a brow at me. "You never used to be this greedy, you know."

I shrug. "Only kept a few coins. The rest I gave to this family at the edge of the city."

"You were always soft on the inside," Gareth mutters.

It's the damn soft spot that sent me running as a fugitive and thief in the woods in the first place. The fallout never occurred between Gareth and I directly, but it happened to my father. He couldn't save himself, and the last I could do was run as fast as my legs could carry me.

All because I was soft. I simply cared too much.

I crack my neck, gazing upward at the setting sun. "Why did you track me down?"

"I have a request," he begins, his breath catching a bit. It must be dire if he had to waste his precious energy trying to find me. The directions I gave him when I left were minimal, almost undecipherable. In fact, all I said was 'I'll be somewhere.' That's probably why it took him so long to find me. I told him never to contact me unless it's an emergency.