𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | 𝐁𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐎𝐒

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

I stand outside the door of the small structure in the Adoridian outskirts of Evertania. It's nothing like the lavish homestead we used to have as children. There's no oak tree brushing against my bedroom window, none like the one she used to climb like a goddamn monkey. There's a stall attached to the wooden home for a horse (mostly for Neph). It's minimal in space—but gods, this house is something, if not a ten year refresh.

This is what I receive for exposing the secret prince: a reward. Now, everything can go back to the way it was.

For once, maybe my life will be normal.

Upon further conversation with Gareth, I discovered more about what is to happen regarding Aspen and I. She will remain in service in the castle, but only as a kitchen maid rather than directly for Leighton. I, on the other hand, am forced to enroll into the Adoridian militia as a knight. We're supposed to be free, but we're now both chained to the king's decree. We'll be monitored for what my father did ten years ago, because they won't want us to get ideas and rebel against his regime.

In the end, I've done my duty. I've freed my sister.

And I'm so fucking exhausted from fighting.

My knuckles graze the door, a single soft knock. I wasn't lying to Imogen when I told her I was terrified of reuniting with Aspen. I'm scared shitless. What if I'm just a stranger to her when I walk through the door?

Gods, why am I doing this?

What if she resents me for running from her ten years ago?

I raise my hand to knock once more when the front door swings wide open.

Golden eyes meet mine, her hair a messy storm of chestnut curls. A young woman taller than I expected stands before me, her posture straight and confident. The image of her is so far from what I imagined—and yet she's everything of chaos, courage, and calamity.

She searches my face, those golden eyes wide in awe. I must be doing the same when I manage to speak one word: "Hi," I choke.

She springs from her feet, colliding into my chest. I stagger back. Her arms tighten her embrace around me, a sob of happiness escaping from her lips. I wrap my arms around her thin body, squeezing her so tight so she understands I'll never leave.

On her tiptoes, she pulls apart just enough to press her trembling lips to my ear.

"I always remembered you."

Tears sting my eyes.

Those four words... I've been waiting to hear them for so long.

Every heartache that pierced my heart has brought me to this moment, to have Aspen safe from the tyranny of Leighton. Now, my little sister has fallen straight within my arms and I'm never fucking letting go.

Like the bundle of chaos she has always been, she pulls away and tugs me into the house. A smile beams across her lips as she ushers me down in a chair near a table. The inside looks smaller than the outside—but there's still two separate rooms for Aspen and I, as well as a small common area.

Aspen takes a seat across from me, nearly exploding with a strange giddy that ignites her like a firefly. Her smile hasn't changed in the last ten years. It's still... wildly magnifying.

"You look the same," she mutters under her breath, those golden hazel eyes analyzing me as I sit before her. She reaches out and brushes her fingers under my barren chin. "Except I thought you'd maybe grow a beard."