𝐒𝐈𝐗 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐍

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

Gareth is exactly where he said he'd be: a rundown tavern by the Summervale shipyards.

It's a bustling business, considering most of the patrons at this dark hour are drunken sailors or foul-mouthed pirates. Every corner seems to be brimming with trouble and affliction—a perfect location to discuss my findings on the Lagulon castle. No one with the right mind would dare enter this place.

Gareth tips a bottle of wine between his fingers as he takes one swift gulp. "'Bout time you showed up. I was beginning to think you were dead."

"Have some faith in me," I grin, taking a seat across from him.

Gareth's blue eyes shine a little as I say this, just like they always did when we were children. Growing up, we were always around the same calibre. He's good with a sword, and valient when he needs to be. As we entered adolescence, I got the upperhand. I started winning each fight with such suaveness, time after time. When it came to recognition from the captains, it was I who got noticed while Gareth fell back. It was I who they feared to battle against, because they knew they'd lose.

That lasted until I had to flee, and the reputation and rank I had built from myself suddenly meant nothing.

It only makes me wonder where I would be if I never had to leave Adorid. Would I be in his position? Would I have reached my father's ranks?

Gareth slides the bottle of wine across the table. "So, tell me what you learned about that castle."

"It's a fucking maze," I grumble, taking a swig. "If you want to get in there, you need to scrap whatever approach you were going to take."

"Was it that bad?"

"I could've easily gotten caught," I mumble. Well, I don't mention the fact that I did get caught by Imogen. It's no longer the guards I'm worried about. It's her and those analytical grey eyes that can spot me like a hawk. "The map you gave me was fucked up as well."

"It's just what I could scrounge up from notes," he responds. "At least you weren't going into this completely blind."

"I might as well been." I reach into my pocket and throw Imogen's pendant across the table. "Fortunately for us, that place is filled with gold."

Gareth takes the pendant in his hands. With the pads of his fingers, he fondles the crescent moon, tracing the vines etched into the precious metal laced with diamonds. Selling that would be worth thousands of coins, just like Imogen said. I'd never have to work another day in my life.

But I can tell from the way Gareth's lips curve in delight that simple gold isn't what he's after.

"So you know how to get inside," he mutters to himself. "At least that's some form of progress."

"That necklace is proof enough, ain't it?"

Gareth tosses Imogen's pendant back across the table, instead taking hold of the wine. "Obviously you haven't gotten near where I want you too."

I chuckle. "My goal was just to make it out alive, something you admitted you couldn't do."

"You're doing good," he chides with a sly grin, then hands the bottle back to me. "Take this, just don't get too drunk before you go into the castle."

"Just drunk enough to take the edge off," I mutter under my breath. I'll be honest—going back to the Lagulon castle terrifies the shit out of me. Imogen sparing me once was a stroke of luck. Getting caught by a guard whose job is to keep intruders like me out? Not so much.

"And just think, in a matter of time your name will be cleared, and you'll be on your way to Aspen," he winks at me. "She misses you, you know."

Aspen.

"Is she...?" I can't find the words to ask the right question, because there just seems to be too many.

"She's still alive, Tobin." Judging by the spark in Gareth's eyes, I know he won't reveal more about her until I've held up my end of the deal.

Just the thought of Aspen gives me the courage to get out of my seat. "I should go..."

"Tobin?"

Gareth picks Imogen's pendant and tosses it to me. "Take it as payment for now."

I push my way out of the tavern and into the crisp air of nightfall. Storm clouds loom over the horizon of the Great Blue ocean, threatening to make landfall on Lagulon's shore. It'll be a challenge navigating the raging weather tonight, but I have to go back. I have to, if it means reuniting with Aspen.

Nephthys waits for me outside of the tavern, eager to be untied from her rope. I pat her on the neck before pressing my cheeks into her skin for a brief nuzzle. She releases a content high-pitched whinny before settling into my touch.

"We're going back, Neph," I mutter to her.

She's a horse. It's not like she can answer me. It's not like she knows what the hell I'm doing, but I'd like to think she's smarter than she appears.

Still, Nephthys and I have been across the whole damn countryside together. I found her injured when she was just a foal, so I nursed her back to health at the old abandoned homestead by the lake, just north of Summervale at the bridge of the mountains. I lived alone there for months and trained her to trot lightly, neigh sparsely, and track me down when we get separated.

Neph dips her head and nips at my pocket. "Neph," I hiss, reaching into my pocket. I grasp onto Imogen's pendant.

She huffs, demanding I remove my hand. So I do, showing her the princess' pendant prize.

A flash of lightning spreads across the skies above, hinting of the rainy gales on our heels. In the brisk flash of light, the diamonds within the gold crescent moon sparkle.

I smirk at the princess's pendant. It's my payment, my reward for doing what most thieves and felons can't. For now, I undo the clasp and wrap it around my neck, hiding the golden moon beneath my shirt. When all this shit is over, I'll bring it to Aspen as an apology for everything that's happened. She can wear it, and maybe then she'll remember me, her big brother. She can't possibly forgive me for leaving her behind, but it doesn't mean I can't try. Doing what Gareth asks of me is just one step to making everything right again.

It's the only way I can remove a fraction of my guilt.

I mount Nephthys and make my way towards the Summervale castle, because if it comes to meeting Aspen again, then I'm desperate to do anything to clear my name.

── •✧• ──

Another short chapter, but don't worry! There's plenty of Tobin & Imogen to come (aka in the next chapter), so prepare for the romance (& drama) to start burning soon!

Do you have a favourite part of the story so far? Let me know!

Remember to vote, comment, & share!