𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 | 𝐔𝐍𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

It's Gareth.

I can recognize his horse from a mile away. I'm not sure if I should be relieved that it's him or not. My priorities have become twisted up in a thousand ropes, and I can't unravel a single thought. In the daylight, I think of Aspen, alone and fighting her own battles with two small fists. At night, I'm mystified under the spell of a certain princess.

Imogen. She's the key to all of this. I've spent days building up her trust, and that sweet naive smile of hers has gotten into my bloodstream, warming it with every curve. It's godly distracting. So fucking distracting. In the end, I know this connection that binds us is temporary, and that string I've tethered to her will be cut with a blade.

This is all for Aspen. Once Imogen reveals what I need, then this will be over. Even if she doesn't want it too.

Gareth dismounts his steed, his expression tight with a buried vexation. He dresses in commoner's clothes, and I'm happy to see he discarded his Adoridian armour, especially since I know Imogen observes us from a distance.

Gareth's silvery blue eyes close into tight slits. "You never came to the tavern tonight."

I swallow the lump building in my throat. Every night before I scale the castle walls, I update Gareth. He's been pleased with my progress, but let's face it: I've been sparing a few details. He doesn't know about the passageways between the walls and the catacombs beneath the castle's surface. He'll demand a map of those—directions that Imogen purposefully left out of the updated map I stole from her.

Gareth's brow crooks. "There's no need to have your sword out, Tobin. We're allies, aren't we?"

I don't dare let myself look back at the homestead, at where Imogen should be hiding. Instead, I put my sword away. "What do you want?"

"You should be at the castle," he speaks. "In order for this all to work, we need you to do your part. You can't be slacking off by your fucking oasis in the mountains every other night."

My jaw clenches. "I've been in that castle every night for the past six days, and I can't find a fucking way into that locked room."

"You bring back golden rings and arrows, but you're telling me you can't figure out the castle?"

Yes, I want to grit. Everything I have done so far is all thanks to Imogen, whether she's aware of it or not.

Gareth breaks into a sharp burst of laughter. "I thought I knew you better. Nothing seemed to stop you when we were kids."

That's because I didn't realize what I risked until it all got taken away. My mother. My father. Aspen.

I shake my head. "None of this makes sense. All this crap just to get into a fucking room."

"It's not just a room, Tobin," he whispers, his voice dropping to a dangerous, chilling tone. "If the world knows the secret within Lagulon's castle, we can expose it. We can take advantage of their fragility and take what is rightfully ours. What kingdom would trust a king trapped within a scandal?"

"What about the princess?" I ask without a second thought.

If the king of Lagulon is set to fall, then so is their beautiful princess. Or at least, that's what they'd believe. Even I know my princess is a force to be reckoned with if equipped with that bow of hers.

"There's already plans arranged for her," Gareth chides with a smirk ghosting the edges of his thin lips. "She won't be an issue moving forward."

Imogen. She's a fire I tamper with to keep alight, and yet I know she's fractured and fringed, on the cusp of shattering altogether. Like Gareth said, she's fragile, like her kingdom waiting to crumble. Yet, she's an asset to her people. She's King Orion's only heir, but what is it inside that room that could possibly tear down her entire regime?