𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐄𝐑𝐀

ততততত

𝐈 𝐌 𝐎 𝐆 𝐄 𝐍

This "celebration" will be the death of me.

These past few days consisted of me lying through the skin of my teeth to Leighton. In fact, I told the king I was menstruating when I'm not predicted to have it for at least another week—not that he'd even know. The lie got him temporarily out of my hair, but it couldn't free me from tonight's festivities. Leighton insists I stay attached to his side for the evening, relaying the message that him and I are to be bound in marriage till death do us part.

First, we attended a feast with every single duke and duchess sitting at the long wooden table. I sat beside Leighton throughout the entire dinner, answering meaningless questions about the wedding when they were presented to me:

Have you set a date for the wedding? Yes, in less than four months.

Will it be at Adorid? No, the ceremony will be at the Lagulon castle in Summervale.

What kind of decor will be there? Leighton's underpants. Well, I didn't actually answer that question, but if anyone dared to interrogate me longer I might've let the humiliating truth about what happened slip out into the open air.

Following the dinner comes what nauseates me the most: the public announcement. It seems everyone in the city of Evertania and beyond received an invitation to hear the news. Surely rumours about the marriage have writhed through the city streets before my arrival, but now they'll be set in stone. Thousands of Adoridians will watch me, scrutinize me, wonder why Leighton chose the princess of a kingdom crumbling to ashes.

Fortunately, Lorcan managed to stay at arm's length throughout the entire night. Even now as I prepare to stand on a pedestal before the Adoridian crowds, he's there.

Leighton speaks with a few guards—Brock, and others I can't identify. At least he's distracted as Lorcan pulls me to the side. He dresses in Lagulonian navy, his armour glistening in the firelight from the sconces. He certainly sticks out amongst the crowd, but at least I know I won't lose sight of him. Besides, Lorcan is an impressive height, and might even be a head taller than the rest of the people.

"I will be monitoring you from the edge of the room," Lorcan tells me. "I can't go up there with you."

"What do you mean, 'you can't?'" I hiss in a whisper. "You're acting as my personal guard and need to be at my side."

"Unfortunately, the personal guard rouse isn't good enough when your future husband is in your company," he grumbles, his hazel eyes drifting over to Leighton and his men. "I'm surprised he allowed me to accompany you for the night thus far."

"Lorcan, you can't leave me alone," I beg, stepping closer to him. "Please. You know my father wouldn't let you."

Lorcan's hazel eyes hold so much pity for me, but that's far from what I need. I need him to stand between Leighton and I as a barricade, to fend him off until I return to the safety of my bedroom in Lagulon.

"We are not in Lagulon," Lorcan mutters. "We are in Adorid, and I am to obey the king of Adorid's orders."

He lifts his gaze as he finishes speaking. Leighton crosses the room towards us, clasping his hands behind his straightened back. I must say, he cleans up well in luxurious forest green robes. Small crystals of emerald decorate the trims of his tunic and belt, as well as his crown. Still, behind all that glamour is a beast I need to slay.

"If you don't mind, my queen and I have a whole kingdom waiting for us," Leighton says as he extends a gloved hand to me.

Lorcan tips his head in acknowledgement, his palm already reaching for the hilt of his sword. He longs to fight back, but even I am unaware of what will happen to Lorcan if he steps out of line in Leighton's castle. There's an evil within these walls that controls Leighton's soul, painting these walls with innocent blood.