𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

My meticulous plans have all brought me to this—this moment where triumph rules or destruction obliterates. Yet, Imogen doesn't know a damn thing about what blood will be shed tonight. All she knows is that tonight is the last night for us. In two days, she will be married to Leighton, and to avoid the increased security measures and influx of guards, we agreed this will be the final nightfall.

It was the safer option for her, so I let her believe that I would go.

On our final nightfall, we both wanted to do nothing more than be next to each other. Entwined. Vowing oaths of love with every kiss of our lips. We're trying to let go and unravel from one another, but every breath seems to tie the knot of limbs stronger until we're one. She begs me to stay, and I beg her to fight, and we're caught up in this cycle of promises that we know we can't keep.

The love that buzzes between us comes to an end when Imogen descends into her slumber. She's been so exhausted lately, burdened under the pressures of this fucking wedding. She's had to wear the weight of the betrothal for four months now, and she's going to need all the rest for what she's about to endure.

Unless I can put an end to it.

I'm doing this alone, without no one to save me if it all goes awry.

Am I an idiot? Yes, I believe so, but this seems to be the only chance of sparing Imogen from binding herself to Leighton for the rest of her life. He will crush her heart until there's nothing left to salvage, and that light I love, my fiery weapon, will turn to ashes.

I press my lips to her neck, kisses filled with a promise that I will start a war in order to spare her. My moonbeam has a world waiting for her, and I long to be the one to bring her to our safe haven's doorstep.

Imogen hums as I kiss her, stirring from her slumber for just a second. Those grey moons flutter open, meeting the brown golden hues of mine. She reaches up, clutching that pendant she gave to me that very first nightfall. Delicate fingers feather against the cold carving etched into the crescent moon.

"I should've seen it coming," she whispers, her eyes already heavy with fatigue. She runs a hand through the slight waves of my tousled chestnut hair. "A petty predictable thief stealing the heart of the princess for his own. As long as you keep mine close to yours, we'll beat forever."

I meet her lips, parting hers so I can taste my sweet, sweet moonbeam. I love her. I'm so madly in love with her that it's poisoned me. She will lead me head first into destruction.

"Always," I breathe, then whisper a soundless 'I love you' against her, a confession she drowns herself in.

Amidst our deepening kisses, her touch falls limp, and her head tilts away as she unknowingly falls back into her dreams. In the stray beam of moonlight, she nearly glows with her ethereal beauty. Her blonde hair strews across the pillow, and I run my fingers through it fearing that it might be the last time.

But I have to act now.

Our tired kisses will be the last we will remember of this final night.

I linger for just a moment longer to make sure Imogen is fast asleep before pulling a sheet over her bare body. In these past few days, I've memorized the route to the guest wing. I know every corridor that leads me straight to that asshole's room, and I know every exit when I need to make a run for it to save myself. Tonight, I will have blood on my hands. I will show Leighton I am not the same cowardly warrior he saw me as long ago.