𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐒 𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

The storm hits in full force as I wander through the castle courtyards. Due to the storm, the guards' routes are all fucked up so they can avoid the rain. It could be used to my benefit, but it only makes it impossible to sense out the blindspots.

I find shelter from the rain at an opening by one of the watchtowers. Between the stone walls and towers lies a road laced with stairs and ladders to reach the top of the structures. Its a whole hidden highway designed for the guards to move efficiently. Golden torchlight flickers from above, but there's no way they can see me down below unless they descend downward.

I close my eyes—relieved that I got inside (even if it's just an outer wall and tower) without being speared to death. I'm soaked from the storm. Mask. Clothes. Boots. Skin. Tonight's caper won't be long unless I get moving.

Now what the hell do I do?

A shiver runs through my blood like ice. When I open my eyes, the physical embodiment of moonlight somehow has tracked me down and stands in front of me, equipped with her bow and arrow. She places a finger to my lips against the dark mask, hushing me before something utterly stupid and profane leaves my mouth. Instead, Imogen laces her fingers into my clothes and hauls me out of the opening.

We run through the dense downpour, only now her hand slips down to mine. Her touch feels soft, like a brush of dandelion fluff. Not once have we spoken a word, but I'm learning that Imogen's no force to be reckoned with. Whatever the hell she's doing, it's keeping me alive.

She pushes me inside an empty armory filled with silver shields, swords, and a plethora of other weapons that would probably kill me. At least we're out of the goddamn rain.

She lights a candle. The single flame glows against her serene features. Rainwater drips down her cheeks and the curls of her honey gold hair, and the cloak clings to her like a heavy second skin. A playful giggle escapes her, and my lips curve on instinct, like I could stop myself from such a beautiful sound.

"Did you want to get caught?" she laughs.

"That only took you thirty fucking seconds," I try to keep my expression serious, but she has a way of sneaking under my skin.

"You were going to get yourself killed anyway," she huffs. "The map you were using was ridiculously inaccurate."

"And you expect any better from me?"

I knew it. I knew she took Gareth's map from me, probably when she pinned me up against the wall with her arrows. In my naive weakness when I gazed into her mirror of allure, I lost track of my surroundings. She charmed me, and she used that spell to steal the map. Well, I'd like to think it went like that, when in reality I was just distracted.

"So what have you learned from this?" she smirks.

I cross my arms across my chest. Her gaze flickers down to my biceps, studying my movements like a wolf tracking its prey. For the first time ever, I hate to think that I am the prey.

When I don't answer, Imogen fills in the blanks. "Well, I learned that you're a predictable petty thief."

"I am not—" I hold my tongue and shake my head. "What the fuck do you want now?"

She hesitates, and I can see those moonlit grey eyes processing what to tell me. At the same time, I'm met with a drowning scent of sweet vanilla. That damn sweet vanilla. I step towards her, basking in it more than I should. I need to keep my mind focused on sneaking inside the castle, but now I'm wired fully to outwit this princess.