𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 | 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐃𝐎𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐈𝐑𝐎𝐍

ততততত

𝐈 𝐌 𝐎 𝐆 𝐄 𝐍

I've never been to the city of Evertania, the location of the royal Adoridian castle. There hasn't been a reason since Adorid decided to rage war on Lagulon, not until today.

I've studied the maps of the kingdoms across the lands, so I'm aware of some of Adorid's geography. The soil here in Adorid is red, rich in iron and aluminum. In fact, it's some of these ore deposits that make Adorid such a desirable ally. My father said that before Leighton's rule, King Phale was generous with giving away their resources. Now, the steady flow into the neighbouring kingdoms has ceased. Iron stays within Adorid now, and it's only allowed their army to become more powerful. They forge their weapons with it—and according to rumours, they're merciless when it comes to yielding them.

Once we left Lagulon, our group had to travel through Hell's Gate, a passage between two towering mountain ranges. It's a dangerous highway to Evertania, littered with bandits and thieves if you dare go alone. Yet, it's the most direct route. Fortunately, no one dared infiltrate our crew, and we eventually made it to the castle in one piece.

We cross the gates and into the castle courtyards. The walls here span higher than anything, and the red stone brick mimics the kingdom's soil. Lorcan stands on one side of me as he has been throughout the day of travels. Elena also stands near, holding my hand within her own. I'm not sure if it's to ease her fear or mine, but her assurance seems to help.

"You didn't have to come," I whisper to Elena. "My father would have sent someone else."

"No, no! This is my duty to you," Elena shudders as a tall Adoridian guard bumps into her shoulder. She scowls, almost lifting up a certain finger (a streak of fire I know Elena has) but refrains. "Besides, we both know your father trusts me."

He does. My father holds a certain fondness towards Elena, one that even I have caught onto since my mother's passing. I never ask about it, not that I want to know what conspires between them. I know she also acts as his personal handmaiden as well—and I have an inkling that there's something more than just servanthood blooming between them.

"You're nervous," I playfully nudge her shoulder. "I can tell."

"Of course I'm nervous! This place has a reputation," Elena's voice squeaks, making sure no one overhears her. "They're going to send me to the servant's quarters to sleep if I don't end up somewhere else."

"Then sleep in my bedroom," I offer. "Please? I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep in this place anyway."

I've asked Tobin to stay nearly every night, and have grown accustomed to his presence. Although Elena won't be the same, it'll be nice to have a friend nearby.

"Thank the gods," she breathes in relief.

Leighton and Brock walk ahead of us, stopping as we cross into a garden. By now, the majority of the traveling party has disappeared with our belongings, and all that remains is Lorcan, Elena, and I, as well as Leighton and Brock. Leighton left his second-in-command, Gareth, behind at our castle, as well as a small fleet of Adoridian knights. It's probably to intimidate my father—or to annoy him to no end.

"I personally want to give my wife a tour of this place," Leighton tells us. His icy eyes only linger on me, and I wonder if he has some sort of payback set up for me for what I did to his underpants. "I believe this is your first time at the Adoridian castle, am I correct, Imogen?"

My tongue goes dry. "It is."

"It's a shame your father has never bothered to visit during my reign," he begins to stroll again. "It's been fifteen years of my kingship—or at least until my father died. Not once has anyone from Lagulon even tried to visit."