Chapter-9

She knocked on the door before slapping her forehead and entering the room, it had been two weeks since they got married yet she always managed to forget that Zaviyar was her husband now and she didn't have to knock to enter her own room.

Shutting the door close, she sat on the bed grumpily, folding her hands.

She kept looking at her husband, who was ready to head out, he was folding his sleeves so she gave him some time. Bouncing her leg impatiently.

Zaviyar, who was done wearing his shoes, finally looked up at her but said nothing, waiting for her to start speaking like usual.

"Offo, kuch kahein bhi! Puchein humse ki kya hua!" She scoffed, running out of patience.
(Offo, say something! Ask me what happened!)

"Kya hua?"
(What happened?)

"Humne aapko sikhaya tha na ki excitement kaise fake karte hain? Bhool gaye aap?" She asked, getting annoyed at his dry response.
(I taught you how to fake excitement right? You forgot?)

"You said it was for relatives we don't like?" He asked.

"Hume pehle se hi pata tha, yeh generation gap will always be a problem." She got off the bed, "Aapko kuch samajh nahi aata." She added, her voice getting heavier.
(I knew it from the start, this generation gap will always be a problem) (You don't understand anything)

"Ariha?" He caught her arm, bringing her infront of him, "What's wrong?"

"You never pay attention to me, you're always at work and when you're at home, you act like I'm bothering you." She replied, refusing to look at him.

"You know that's a lie, you can never bother me." He brushed her hair back from her face, "What happened?"

"Ammi always scolds me to be like Zara appi, she says I should be a good wife like her...I tried to cook for you par humara haath jal gaya, aur..aur woh..."
(I tried to cook for you but I burnt my hand and..and that..)

"Woh?"
(That?)

"Aapki khala firse rehne aa gayi yahan par, aur woh Khadijah bhi, aapko to pata hai na?" She looked at him.
(That aunt...you aunt came to live here again and that Khadijah to, you know it right?)

"Kya pata hai mujhe?"
(Know what?)

"She likes you!"

"Ariha.."

"Usne humse khud kaha, mayoon wale din bhi kaha tha, aur Ammi bhi uski tareef kar rahi thi...unhone sabke saamne hume daanta." She told him, constantly blinking to block the tears.
(She told me herself, on the day of Mayoon and mom, she was praising her and she scolded me infront of everyone.)

"Okay..."

"Tayi Ammi ne Mau ko bhi bahar lock kar dia, kyunki Khadijah ko allergy hai cats se." She added as he made her sit on the bed, "Sab hume bura treat karte hain jab wo aati hai."
(Your mom locked out Mau because Khadijah is allergic to cats) (everyone treats me badly whenever she comes)

"I'll talk to Ammi, don't cry and I'll bring Mau to you, okay?" He asked.

"Woh kahin chala gaya toh?" She asked in worry.
(What if he went somewhere?)

"Then I'll find him, now take a deep breath and relax, I'll be back." He said, leaving her arms as he walked towards the door.

"Sunein." She called, "Khadijah se baat nahi karna bilkul bhi."
(Listen) (don't talk to Khadijah)

"Okay."

"Jaldi aana." She added as she opened the door.
(Come back soon)

Zaviyar's khala came in the morning without any prior notice, now that Ariha was his wife, his khala was a little too adamant on the fact that she wanted her, Ariha to make the tea.