Chapter-6

She was drawing Mau's portrait, well, trying to since he kept moving when her mother came to her room.

"Ariha.." She called, closing the door as she walked further inside the room.

"Ammi?" Ariha threw away the crayon she stole from a kid Aidah used to tutor a few months back.

Aiza took a seat on her bed, taking a deep breath, preparing herself to give her daughter 'the talk.'

"Kahein, unhone mana kar diya? Hume pata tha, unhone nahi maan na, bechara Mau, usne toh unhe apne Abbu ki jagah di thi, dil toot gaya bechare ka." She sniffled, picking up Mau in her lap as she caressed his back.

(Tell me, he said no? I knew it, he wouldn't agree, poor Mau, he gave him the place of his father, his heart broke.)

"Kya gunnah kiya tha maine jo itni bewakoof beti mili?" Her mother asked herself loudly. (What were my sins that I got this stupid daughter?)

"Haww-"

"Chup chap baitho aur suno, tumhe pata hai na ki nikkah koi mazaak nahi hai-"

(Shut up and listen, you know that marriage isn't a joke right-)

"Aur nahi toh kya Ammi, aap hume pagal na samjhe, bachpan me jo gudda gudiya ka nikkah karaya tha wo abhi bhi saath hain, aur-"

(Obviously Ammi, don't take me as a fool, the dolls I got married in childhood are still together and-)

Her mother smacked her head before she continued, "Chup chap baithne ko bola na maine?" She glared. (I asked you to sit silently, didn't i?)

Ariha didn't speak after that, looking at her with her lips pressed between her teeth.

"Bolo ab kuch?" Her mother raised her voice, getting annoyed by the silence. (Say something now)

She let out some incoherent noise, trying to speak with her mouth closed.

"Kaisi Jaahil aulaad mili hai." Aiza shook her head, "Zaviyar said yes." She told her, making her open her mouth in a second.
(What kind of illiterate child have I got)

"Sachi? Haaye, hume to bekeen nahi ho raha hai!" Ariha got up excitedly, making Mau jump out of her lap. (Really, I can't bekeen this at all)

"Bekeen?" Her mother asked in confusion.

"Offo ammi, shabdo pe nahi feelings pe jaao, excitement me humne believe or yakeen ko mix kar dia." She shook her head in disbelief.
(Offo Ammi, don't go on words, understand the feelings, I mixed Believe and Yakeen in excitement)

"Neeche baitho, I want to talk to you." Aiza pulled her daughter back to the bed, making her sit down.
(Sit down)

"Ab hum banenge iss ghar ke bade bahu, sab par raub jamana hai humne-" She recieved another smack, this time on the side of her head. (Now I'll be the eldest daughter-in-law of this house, I'll be superior to all-)

"Jyada dimaag na chalao, khatam ho jayega." Her mother scolded, "listen to me, after Nikkah you'll have responsibilities on your head and some expectations too and marriage is not a gudda-gudiya ka khel, things will change between you and Zaviyar, he'll-"

(Don't use too much of your brain, it'll finish)

"Allah." Ariha gasped, getting up, her cheeks blazing up with fire, "Dekhein, hume sab pata hai, humne tayi-ammi aur Zara appi ki baatein sun li thi, aap wahi baatein karne aayi hain na? Ek baar traumatize ho chuke hain hum, dobaara nahi." She shook her head.