xxiii. castrate the saxon

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

They were all grouped in Thyra and Beocca's shared home, Hild graced them with her presence as they spoke. Revna was currently massaging Finan's shoulders as he relaxed into her touch, she didn't like him so tense and stressed. Sihtric watched with a softened gaze, he was glad his sister was happy.

"It could be months before Edward's king, by then the Danes will be marching." Finan spoke softly and moved his free hand behind him to caress her arm.

"Alfred will be gone much sooner, even than one month. It will be days." Beocca corrected.

"Then there's the argument, for want of a better word. Edward is not every Saxon's choice for king." Hild added bluntly.

"Judging by the cackle in the alehouse, Edward is not any man's choice." Finan says as Hild looks at Thyra in concern, the Abbess approaches the Dane woman. Revna glanced at the red-haired woman before looking back at Uhtred.

"Men are saying what?"

"Edward looks like a woman's arse. And you are here to kill him." Sihtric spoke with an amused tinge in his voice. Revna snorted in amusement as she tightened her grip on Finan's shoulders and he almost melted into her hands.

"Edward is a spoiled brat in the making. He will become greedy and turn on you, Uhtred." Revna added and Uhtred sighed at her claim.

"News of your pardon will change what people say. Thyra?" The man says seeing Hild hug the Dane woman as she cries, he approaches his wife in concern.

"Thyra, what is it? Why the tears?" She glanced around before telling the men and Abbess what happened. Not long after, Beocca marched angrily with Uhtred and his boys following along. Finan had slipped his hand into hers as they walked, she wasn't much for affection but when it came to the two men she loved, she allowed it. Sihtric pulled her hair as he passed by and she narrowed her eyes at the man.

"Maybe you should let me speak to this man." Uhtred said to his father figure.

"I'm quite capable. She's my wife."

"Yes, but you have a temper." Uhtred stated as they walked.

"I do, and it's up. Tidman! I'm looking for a rat named Tidman! Are you Tidman?" Beocca asked as he looked at a man drinking ale. "I asked are you Tidman?"

"Father Beocca, good morning, and Uhtred, free man of Wessex." Aethelwold said as he walked out of the house. Revna and Finan stood back as they watched, Finan crossed his arms and pulled her hand along with him. She shook her head at his clingy ways and propped her chin on his shoulder.

"I'm looking for a man named Tidman does the coward belong to you?"

"He does not." Aethelwold spoke.

"I am not a coward. What is it you want, priest?" The man who was drinking stood.

"What I want, oaf, is for you to heed my warning. Speak to or go near my wife again and I shall beat the shit from you." Beocca threatened as he moved closer.

"Oh, well said."

"It is a promise." Beocca snapped at the one-eyed Saxon without looking away from Tidman.

"I called your woman a Dane, is that...is that not what she is?"

"If you want to harass a Dane woman so bad, perhaps I should volunteer? I guarantee you wouldn't survive a handful of minutes." Revna shouted as she hugged Finan from behind with her free arm. Tidman sneered at her and Aethelwold looked panicked.

"Have you not understood me? You don't appear to be the cleverest of men." Beocca said and Tidman glared at him.

"Do you speak to me as a man or a priest?" Just as Tidman asks Beocca headbutts him and proceeds to punch him when the man collapses. Revna laughed at the sight and shouted Beocca's name to encourage him, Uhtred sent her a warning look.

"Does that answer your question? Does that answer your question? I do not hide beneath these robes!" Beocca shouted as Uhtred and Sihtric pulled him away.

"Beocca, enough! No more!"

"Bastard! She's a woman! A gentle woman and she's suffered enough." Beocca snarled as Uhtred and Sihtric released him. Beocca shoved past the two Danes to move close to the Saxon. "I'm warning you once. I'm calm, I am calm now." Beocca said as Uhtred patted his shoulder, Tidman started to stand and Beocca lunged.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey, hey!" Uhtred and his men all shout as they grab him. Sihtric chuckled with a wide smile as Beocca punched the guy one last time. Revna had to admit the priest could land a hit.

"I am calm. This rotten air that fills Winchester is due to you and the likes of you. England is a land for all tribes who wish to settle and live in peace. Your father would be ashamed of you." Beocca snapped as he looked at Aethelwold, he then walked away in anger.

"Go follow him." Uhtred ordered Sihtric and Osferth. Revna and Finan stay where they are, almost merging into one person from how little space remains between them.

"I fear the priest does not like me."

"No man likes you, Aethelwold. Your soul is as scarred as your face." Uhtred stated with a glare.

"Courtesy of my uncle Alfred in his mercy." Aethelwold said as a joke and then looked at one another in silence.

"Would it be a mercy if I cut your balls off? We do not need more of you running around." Revna hissed out. Finan lifted her hand to kiss the back of it and looked at her softly, she frowned at the display of love. Only her Irishman could find love in her threatening to castrate a man.

"Why are you here? Do you still dream you can be king?"

"It is my home and I will not move. This is a land I love. Can you say the same?" Aethelwold taunted as Finan stood up.

"Ah, Uhtred, I am tired of listening to this squirrel's arse." Finan said with a tired sigh.

"Let me offer you a cup of ale. Come inside and sit with me. Let me convince you, I am for a Wessex. Hear me, please." Uhtred and Finan share a look as they begin to walk away, Uhtred pauses with a look of contemplation, he motioned for the couple as they follow Aethelwold in while Finan sighs.