xvii. moment of love

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Revna watched as Finan stabbed his shield into the ground and leaned against it with his sword over his shoulder as the horns sounded around them.

"The great lord Uhtred and his army. Ready the archers and prepare every last man. The Dane-slayer shall die this bet morning." Hæsten announced. Her eyes glanced amongst the group until they landed on Osferth who was already looking up at her with a worried expression.

"Yes, lord."

"Lord Uhtred, such a frightening sight." Hæsten taunted.

"You are a coward, Hæsten. Hiding inside your fortress when the priest of Eoferwic did rise you fled? When Sigefrid attacked Alfred, you fled. And at the nunnery once again, you fled." Uhtred said with a smirk and she laughed quietly at Hæsten who glared at her.

"I took your women!" Hæsten shouted childishly.

"And as long as I live and breathe they still are my women," Skade shot Hæsten a glare and Sigyn smirked. "Fight me. I will wait for you in the clearing there, bring a guard and no more. Let us make the square and let the two of us fight." Uhtred shouts.

"That is what you want, to die?"

"What I want is an end to this. What is most likely to happen is you will remain a coward, you will remain inside your fortress," Finan and Sihtric chuckle as their men join in. "Songs will be sung about your cowardice, I shall pay for them to be written."

"I am no coward dane-slayer! If death is what you want, then you shall have it." Hæsten yelled as he left.

"Lord, the job is done."

"It has been half a day." Uhtred says in annoyance.

"Maybe he's scared of the priest." Osferth smiles softly at that from where he kneels against his sword.

"We leave." As they walk away Osferth begins to shout for Uhtred.

"Lord," He says softly before standing. "Lord, lord! Lord!" They see Hæsten's army approach them from the distance.

"Run!" They do as Uhtred orders. "Halt! Two lines shield up!" Revna and Finan unconsciously move to one another to do as asked.

"Surround them! Give them no escape and then we'll kill every last one of the bastard!" Hæsten shouts.

"Turn." Uhtred says when more surround them from the back.

"No, no, no. No, no, no." Osferth says quietly as he walks away. "May the good lord protect me. Protect us all."

"We hold! We give them no ground!" Uhtred orders.

"We've no ground to give, lord." Finan said softly as he looked at Revna in worry.