x. the threat

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"They are Danes." Ragnar says as they stand on the peak of the fortress. Revna stood next to Finan and Sihtric as they watched the brothers talk.

"Yes." Cnut answers.

"Definitely. I recognize one of them, two of them." Uhtred says. Revna groaned when she saw Bloodhair was with the group, that hopeless piece of shit should have stayed away.

"Bloodhair, of course." She mumbled drawing Ragnar's attention.

"The Earl Sigurd?" Ragnar asked them.

"Neither are fond of me." Uhtred said and glanced her way.

"For what reason, I wonder?" Cnut mocks and Revna snarls at him, Finan grabs her arm to pull her closer to him and Sihtric.

"Earl Ragnar, I am Hæsten."

"We know who you are. The question is, what do you want?" Ragnar calls down to them.

"Shelter, food, ale, warmth, and negotiation perhaps." He says looking up at the fortress.

"Negotiation? Are we at war?"

"It is what we do, lord. Discussion would be a better word." Hæsten explains with a chuckle.

"You are a long way from Beamfleot, Hæsten." Uhtred shouts suspiciously.

"Uhtred? Believe me, it would be a pleasure to see you here. So it is true, you are no longer Alfred's oathman." Hæsten taunts with a grin.

"It is true and you are still Alfred's oathman?" Revna tensed slightly when Finan placed a hand on her lower back. Being touched gently wasn't something she was used to and it still catches her off guard when both Sihtric and Finan do so.

"He believes so."

"And Earl Sigurd, Bloodhair, what do you have to say?" Ragnar speaks.

"I say we're tired and hungry and my arse is sore."

"You can't refuse them, Ragnar." Brida whispered to him.

"Do you have anything to say to me, Bloodhair?" Uhtred taunted and looked at Ragnar with a grin. "Last time I saw you, you were running for your life."

"Yes, you took what belongs to me. We have that matter to settle."

"It is settled." Uhtred said in reply.

"Can I kill them both?" Revna questioned looking at the intruders below, Sihtric grinned at her when she frowned.

"It can wait, it may even be resolved peacefully." Bloodhair shoots Hæsten a look.

"Brida is right, we cannot refuse them." Uhtred says.

"You leave your swords at the gate. You have our respect." Ragnar demands.