xi. sides have been drawn

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Finan." Beocca greets them with a smile as he approaches the group, Revna has her head on Finan's shoulder telling Osferth the many ways to kill a man without a sword. Safe to say, the monk was terrified.

"Father Beocca, it's good to see you." Finan says and shoving her head off him making her groan in annoyance as he walks to the man, the Irishman sends her a grin at her answering glare.

"Osferth," He turns to Osferth and Revna. "Revna." She nodded at the man and looked over at Sihtric.

"Father, it was nice to see you and Thyra again." She speaks quietly.

"Dane boy," He trails off. "Looks like a rat."

"Last I checked, rats are not handsome." She says with a teasing smile when Sihtric becomes flustered by her compliment.

"I am Sihtric." He says plainly.

"Your wife Sihtric, she has left Coccham and returned to the inn at Winchester." Revna glared at the man when she noticed Sihtric clenched his jaw and turned away hurt from the news.

"She has? Is she well?" He asked quietly.

"Oh, she is well. And she is loud." Finan chuckles at the remark, Revna moves to her brother's side and places a comforting hand on his shoulder. Sihtric reached up to place his own on hers, she shot Finan a dirty look that made him frown.

"Some privacy?" The priest asks.

"Sit yourself down, father. We all need to piss." Finan says as he smacks Sihtric. He attempts to pay her back but she shoves his hand away and walks with Sihtric:

"That didn't last long." Osferth said quietly as he walked with Finan.

"Shut it, baby monk." Finan snapped and the monk just smiled at him.

"Say nothing." Uhtred speaks when they return.

"I won't so much as fart in your direction, lord. I'll simply say to Sihtric here, that this great army we're supposedly gathering, can never hold." Sihtric avoids the Irishman's eyes as he looks at Uhtred. Finan leaned into her arm and sent her an apologetic look for earlier, she sighed and patted his hand.

"Agreed." Sihtric said watching the two curiously.

"And I'll mention to Osferth that I didn't come north only to turn and march south." Finan mumbled looking at the monk solemnly and fought the urge to grab Revna's hand.

"Nor me, Finan."

"Lord, I will follow you wherever you go, but I have a wife in Wessex and men like Hæsten and Bloodhair are no better than Kjartan." She flinched at the name of their father and Finan reached over to place a hand on her wrist, he used his thumb to rub circles into her skin soothingly:

"If the north is your home, your birthright, then why are we not looking towards Bebbanburg? Now, that is a fight we can believe in Uhtred, I am begging ya as your friend. Do not do this, we should leave this place." Finan begs and Uhtred frowns momentarily.

"And leave my brother, how can I do that?" Uhtred asked hurt.

"You must."

"I know your pain, Uhtred. But you must choose what your heart is telling you, not what everyone else wants." She spoke and Uhtred gave her an appreciative nod. After some thought Uhtred decided to go speak with Ragnar and confront Aethelwold, the group walks into the feast hall feeling the tension in the air. Uhtred turned to look at them with a hurt look.

"I will be leaving. I will be leaving, though I will not be returning to Wessex. I am needed."

"By a princess? You're no more a dane than the priest here, you're a whore to the crown of Alfred." Revna stood between Sihtric and Finan with a frown.

"Do not speak of family matters, Brida." She snarled in anger.

"You would do this to me again?" Ragnar says heartbrokenly.

"I must."

"Yes, of course. You must. You swore an oath, you gave your word and that is about reputation and honor. What my father gave to you, I now take back. You are no longer Uhtred Ragnarsson." Uhtred attempts to fight back tears.

"Ragnar, you cannot do that, please." Thyra pleaded looking between them.

"You are no longer my brother, this was a game to you." Ragnar whispered, Revna felt for both men and the shitty situation they are in.

"Never." Uhtred whispered.

"Go, before I kill you." Ragnar said looking at Uhtred with anger.

"He does not leave with Skade. Ragnar, she belongs to me." Bloodhair declared. Revna wanted to kill him.

"Yes, Bloodhair. We shall make the square," Finan steps forward worriedly. "And you can fight for the witch, to the death."

"Agreed." Bloodhair speaks.

"Lord, say nothing." Finan pleads to his friend.

"Agreed, we fight." Uhtred says with tears and avoids looking over at them.